Some Past Finds

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All,

Been awhile posting and not so active on digs lately due to Covid-19. Despite all, both my wife and I are blessed to be essential workers. She, a department manager at a company which makes specialized equipment for both public and military use. As for myself, I am no longer active in Engineering or Archeology. But now a Security Supervisor at a Covid-19 essential hospital in Florida as well as being trained as a First Responder so my team can assist the First Responders who are the true heroes. This is not the most lucrative job I ever held but the most rewarding as there is nothing more satisfying than being trusted to help others in need; and, definitely most satisfying to actually help those in need. I can say despite all my previous career accomplishments, this is the best job anyone can hope for. A job to provide service to others in need. Hence, I don't mind being on 24-hour call although it has greatly limited my time at exploration and discoveries of things from the past. Therefore, when time permits, I will post some past discoveries.
rev1j.JPG rev1j2.JPG
half1834-a.jpg half1834-b.jpg
ga_1a.JPG sb8.JPG
foragex1j.JPG capron-allen_02-17-07 049.JPG

Upvote 7

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems you are passionate about your job. Many kudos to you. I wish you the best.

Those are some sweet relics. Plus that 50 cent piece is amazing. Congrats on some nice finds. :icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That Cap Bust 1/2 dollars has me drooling on my keyboard! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those are some great finds Thanks for sharing those looks like you do pretty well. Thanks to both of you for being there for us at a time like this. I appreciate very much.......Mt Brother is a Doctor he travels to different Hospitals treating covid patients...............Tommy

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Capped Half Dollar

That Cap Bust 1/2 dollars has me drooling on my keyboard! :occasion14:

Thanks to all ... Notably, the coin was not actually found at the fort site which dated to 1838. I did research and noted the fort was in a hammock. The soldiers had horses and mules for transportation. Yet the terrain could not pasture the livestock. Therefore I studied old maps and noted a military trail that extended southward from the fort. After determining the area of artifact concentration at the fort property, I hiked to the south into an old orange grove and noted that grove parallels yet another hammock--somewhat 'L' shaped. I met grove owner & recd. permission to proceed further south and search. So it goes, the edge of the L hammock, which was about 1/4 mile south of the fort was the path of the military road. The low area to the east was the nearest pasture land with hammock both west and north of it. Hence, I detected along the hammock ridge and what I determined had to be the old military road. Lo and behold, in the lower elevation just east of the supposed road location I discovered evidence of a picket camp where soldiers would stay and watch over the livestock. It was a small camp but productive. Without looking at my notes, I recall digging a handful of musket ball drops; ten or eleven Infantry Coat Buttons; one Artillery Coat button and an iron concentrated area with a refuse or fire pit. Hence, I sifted the concentration which extended to about 40 cm in depth. It was loaded with shoe nails from horses or mules; and a solder iron tip -- not for solder but for heating & using to transfer heat & shape the shoes. I found the coin at about 30cm down in the concentration of nails. Unfortunately, thru time & ground action, a nail rubbed in to the coin just in front of Miss Liberty's neck. And last, the camp & fort was used only in 1838, hence, the coin was lost four years after being minted.Not in such bad shape for an everglades find, then being quite far from civilization.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread