some relic finds from this weekend

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i dont usually target relics when i go hunting but this spot i am working is rather old with the ruins of an old church built in 1804 on the property. i think most of the coins have been picked out already but i did manage some cool relics! i found some suspender clasps, two old flat buttons, a pewter spoon handle, some harmonica reeds and two wheats. a 45 and a 1917. my brother also found two iron relics that day. an old ox shoe and an axe head. i am hoping that an old large cent or a nice old piece of silver turns up. no one ever gets it all as you know! relics are cool to find too and i am happy with these finds! we also located two old bottle dumps and we both found a few keepers right on the surface! anyway, if anything else turns up at this place i will be sure to post it! thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 01-14-2008 07;43;31pm (505 x 1119).jpg
    01-14-2008 07;43;31pm (505 x 1119).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 608
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds HP. I like those clasps. Is there some sort of figures in the one in the upper right? Looks like two rhinos butting heads.
I can't believe the amount of harmonica pieces that are found. I guess the didn't have cell phones, Ipods, etc. to play with back then. ;)
Great job.
-MM-

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
yes! i think the one clasp has two rams butting heads on it. i was surprised at all of the harmonica reeds as well. to look at the area where they were found today, its hard to imagine anyone ever spending time there! its extremely overgrown woods!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
yes! i think the one clasp has two rams butting heads on it. i was surprised at all of the harmonica reeds as well. to look at the area where they were found today, its hard to imagine anyone ever spending time there! its extremely overgrown woods!

I found a few pieces in the woods at the farm I detect at too. Out in the middle of nowhere also.
Maybe they didn't want folks to hear how bad they played? ;) ;D
-MM-

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the relics you found, I am sure there is more there than just more relics, which your grouping is great, since some of them make nice displays in shadow boxes. :)

Are you sure your extremely overgrown woods were not something else 150-200 years ago? Those finds are not usually associated with random drops, more homestead related........not knowing how close to the old church site you were hunting, but if iron hits abound, I would think possible homestead, perhaps log cabin type with no cellarhole.

Don

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
hollowpointred,

neat artifacts ;D; suspender clasps make for
a good collection.

ModernMiner,
"Maybe they didn't want folks to hear how bad
they played?"
;D :D :) ;D

all have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Don in South Jersey said:
With the relics you found, I am sure there is more there than just more relics, which your grouping is great, since some of them make nice displays in shadow boxes. :)

Are you sure your extremely overgrown woods were not something else 150-200 years ago? Those finds are not usually associated with random drops, more homestead related........not knowing how close to the old church site you were hunting, but if iron hits abound, I would think possible homestead, perhaps log cabin type with no cellarhole.

Don

i would say that the buttons and reeds were found about 150 to 200 yards away from the old church cellar hole. there is a lot of iron in the area, (square nails, carriage bolts, etc). i had assumed they had come from the church when it was torn down, but it is possible that there could have been log cabin type structures in the area. there is an old paper mill about 1/4 of a mile from the site. that is why the church was built, to accommodate the mill workers. the suspender clasps were found about 200 yards in another direction from the church on top of a steep hill. I'm going to give this spot another try or two. one good thing is that there is hardly any modern trash at all. it is almost all old. thanks for the replies everyone! i like the clasps too. its always neat to find personal items like that. it gives you a look into what peoples lives were like back in the old days.

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Great finds HP! :D I take my harmonica reeds and wire-wheel them...the brass shines up nice for display. ;)

Nice buckles and buttons...gotta be more there with finds like that!! :)

HH, Hank 8)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's what I'm talking about Kieth....My kinda hunting.That place HAS to give up some old coin's sooner or later.Keep hittin' it hard,sound's you've got quite a bit of area to cover.Good luck and keep us posted.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the world of relic hunting, Red! ;D Those are some super finds too! 8)

Where's the pics of the bottles? ;D

Nana ;)

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Looks like your in the right spot and digging the right things. Keep it up.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Great display and story red... is there no way to find out if the area was ever occupied? An old house? A dump?

Love the bits and pieces!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread