🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Some sort of plant bulb

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
At a local park in southern WI., they bulldozed up some sod to widen the road. There was a big clump of these bulbs in the dirt pile, about the size of a basketball. I broke a few off and brought them home to plant. Anyone know what they are?

Attachments

• DSCF3658.JPG
    DSCF3658.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 145
  • DSCF3659.JPG
    DSCF3659.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 73

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly canna lilly.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My wife had me plant a whole bed of iris bulbs, consisting of about 20 different varieties... so I'm reasonably sure your roadside find is not Iris bulbs.

Speaking of "roadside bulbs":
The most common type of "roadside bulbs" is Daffodils. Since each bulb produces several young ones before it dies, Daffodils can live forever at old house-sites. Note, Jonquils are a sub-type of Daffodils.

Iris is a close 2nd in commonality behind Daffodils -- because Iris is actually a "Desert plant" which due to Evolution is extraordinarily hardy, even in extreme conditions of temperature, or drought, extended neglect by humans, or no care at all. Although fertilizer will make an Iris grow better, it actually will do "well enough" without any feeding, or artificial (not-by-Mother-Nature) watering.

All of that being said:
Here's your solution. Go to WalMart or Home Depot and look at the many varieties of Spring Flower bulbs that are for sale for planting this month and next month. You very probably can find a match for your bulbs, because you can usually see the bulbs inside the bags/packets of bulbs for sale.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread