Someone talk me into an E-trac

Skelly607

Bronze Member
May 5, 2010
Danville Va.
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO M6 Ace 250
I have came up with the $1500 for an Etrac. Iam just anxious about dropping this much money on a machine with such a learning curve. I don't want to be talked into a lesser machine or a different brand (except an MXT),,,lol. How hard is this learning curve? I would do well with the preset programs?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
My self i would take a MXT over a Etrac......... but i won't talk you in to any thing and i have been detecting since 1980 and there is no way in hell i would pay $1500.00 for a detector ........... I have hunted with a lot of different detectors and have been out with others that have used any name detector you can name........................... So why would i pay $1200.00 or $1500.00 for a detector that might find me a dime one inch deeper than a $800.00 detector and i said might find i did not say would find......................... I have a Excalibur but i only paid $600.00 for it i would never put out $1200.00 for the new one..................... If you think the $400.00 or $700.00 more for a detector that might find you a dime is a good deal go for it. But is that dime worth it?

Attachments

• bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 415
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 408

Detectorfreak74

Jul 2, 2010
UTAH
the etrac is good but you do have a learning curve now with that said if you want the FBS tech. :headbang: with hardly any learning but can read anything a explorer or etrac can get the safari it is awesome. Ask your self do you want a detector that will out preform any whites or garrett out their.Tech on the safari is awesome and all ground balance is automatic and with mine I found 1906 barber half wit 2 nails in the hole and had no problem so do you want to have detecting eye candy I do please think about it it is more than finding a dime 1 inch deeper it another technology. :icon_thumleft:

darkwing_66

Jul 10, 2010
northern alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer2 tesoro tejon
hi
ive been hunting for 33years. i personnaly love minelabs, whites too, i started with whites..
the etrac is a very nice machine, yes there is a learing curve but its not bad. it took me like a year before i understood it, the up side is they do go very deep and if you stay on factory programs until you learn the machine you will be ok. also concider the whites spectra v3i, its easier to use then the minelab and i really like the way it preforms and the new meters on them are very cool. if this is your first metal detector, i would find something a little easier to use and a little cheaper. that way you wont be out a lot of money if you decside that detecting is not for you. i hope i was a little help . have a good one dennis

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a good couple months to be confident and know what setup to run in different places. After reading the manual and andy s's book a million times, making things more complicated that they were, I just mask out iron and make a couple slight changes depending on site specific conditions, don't need all the programs/modes/exchange stuff at all. Took awhile to decide what type of tones to run, ferrous/conductive and the settings that affect the tones also (advantages to both in different situations). Most recently found, that upgrading from the stock/koss headphones was a good thing to do. Don't judge an etrac by any air testing, they work alot deeper in-the-ground! With previous detectors, I hate to think about all the time wasted digging trash. Pretty much cherry pick coins with the etrac and spend alot less time digging junk.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've said it a million times before, but I guess I can go a million and one. ;D

The learning curve on high-end Minelabs is not the settings, programs, etc., (You're better off without programs) it's learning the sounds just like every other detector. Minelab coming out with the Quattro (and now Safari I guess) and marketing them as being user friendly was a joke because how much harder is it to push one button, instead of punching in your Sens. & Disc.? My God! :laughing9: It's the same idea as running high discrimination and letting the detector decide things instead of your ears. The main problem you will probably have (other than the new sounds) is switching to a DD coil if you've never used one. The Minelabs are pretty sensitive and deep so they can be a little frustrating to pinpoint with when changing from a concentric coil.

Basic settings, probe if you have one, lock your other detectors up for 6 months (but it will probably be for good), and you'll be ready to go.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
A dealer who is a long time detectorist said the E-Trac is so different from anything, even the other Minelabs, that he suggests putting off the decision to buy one (or not) until the online manual has been read. Just the opinion of someone who knows much more than myself. HH, George (MN)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George (MN) said:
A dealer who is a long time detectorist said the E-Trac is so different from anything, even the other Minelabs, that he suggests putting off the decision to buy one (or not) until the online manual has been read. Just the opinion of someone who knows much more than myself. HH, George (MN)

If he says it's different that's one thing, but I don't understand what reading the manual would do for anyone?

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Honestly?
It's not that difficult.
Minelab has taken the hard part out by setting the programs for you.
It's the ones that try to over study the machine that have complications.

The numbers on the screen rarely mean much to me.
It's the solid that I usually dig.
If you decide to get one, I'll be glad to help get you started.

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
Dont buy the Etrac... I would like there to be coins and relics for my children and grandchildren to find :P

I just got my Etrac today... I have tested it on many targets so far, but havent taken it out for a dig yet... It picks up a gold dollar quite well... also is hot on small targets like 1/4 real size silver coins... (smaller than a US 3cent piece). My White's XLT has a tough time on smaller targets, but the Etrac hit them every time...

Its pretty much too hot to dig here in Texas now, but summer will be over soon...
Alan

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMorgan said:
Dont buy the Etrac... I would like there to be coins and relics for my children and grandchildren to find :P

I just got my Etrac today... I have tested it on many targets so far, but havent taken it out for a dig yet... It picks up a gold dollar quite well... also is hot on small targets like 1/4 real size silver coins... (smaller than a US 3cent piece). My White's XLT has a tough time on smaller targets, but the Etrac hit them every time...

Its pretty much too hot to dig here in Texas now, but summer will be over soon...
Alan

There's only one thing that's more fun than getting a new Minelab detector.... and that's knowing your old Minelab detector inside out! ;D :thumbsup:

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMorgan said:

Alan

Congratuations on getting your new machine. I think you're going to love it.
HH, bottlebum

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from an Ace 250 to an E-Trac in May and the quality of my finds have skyrocketed. The learning curve? What learning curve? :tongue3: Within a week I had it down pretty good. There's always something to learn, but it's just that easy out of the box. The learning curve is going to come from the amount of options you have. And that's a not a bad thing.

Someone mentioned the DFX, and while it's a great machine, the E-Trac will out peform it. I have detected with people using the DFX who have 30+ years hunting experience and just couldn't hit the targets I did. One of those guys had hunted a local spot for the past few years and I was told it dry. I went there with the E-Trac and so far I've found over 40 buckles (junky), 3 colonial coppers, a bunch of wheaties, a 1917 standing liberty and and countless other things. The E-Trac will make a dry spot wet again.

You also can't go wrong with the V3. My hunting partner has one and it's a great machine. We're always checking targets and it's pretty comparable. His is a bit better at finding gold, and mine is a bit better, or so it seems, in the trashy-irony areas and hitting that deep silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions