Dec 30, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
XP Deus w/9in coil
Whites MXT PRO w/DD 6x10
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone's poor hunting skills!

So I went to the bank today and asked for halves, and the teller said "yeah I have $200". I said i'd buy them and another teller overheard me asking for them, so she said "I have some too". So I said I'll take all of them. Then after they loaded them they said they were glad I was taking them off their hands because these guys hunt them all the time (GREAT!). SO I took them home and was hoping that they missed some. I got lucky. One clipped planchet, and two clad.
IMG_6232.JPG

Funny thing is that the 1969 looks 90% from the side.
IMG_6264.jpg

Between two 90%'s it looks the same???
IMG_6266.jpg

After I was done, I took them back and got a second bag from another bank of mine, and got a bunch of different finds..... 1996 double headed (probably magicians coin, but has rims on both sides, and not magnetic)
IMG_6246.jpgIMG_6248.jpgIMG_6249.jpgIMG_6250.jpg

a gold plated Bicentennial, two 1979s with missing FG's, a Proof bicentennial, an proof 2001, and proof 1981.IMG_6255.JPG
Sorry just put all of them together at the end....tired of taking pix.

Upvote 0
It's pretty much impossible, short of a huuuuge screw up at the mint, for a coin to have two heads. It's a magicians coin of some sort, check the edge closer and look inside the rims of both sides.

Nice day, though. :)

I checked both rims big time! I've tried bending it to see if it would separate, but nothing. I used to have a magicians coin and when you would bend it a coin would pop out of the center. But that was a different type of coin trick. I'll take some pix of both rims for you to check out. I'm not claiming that it's not a magicians coin, but I have always read that one side has a rim and the other doesn't.IMG_6267.jpgIMG_6268.jpgIMG_6269.jpgIMG_6270.jpg

Check the reeded edge, you should find an irregularity dead down the middle. Heck, if the edge has a center of copper and two nickel outer layers, it was cut in half and put back together as a double-heads. If it doesn't sound like a regular half when you drop it, it's been modified...

So the first thing that ran through my mind was, no way this is possible unless someone did this on purpose at the mint. But how can you tell if it's a magicians coin?

OK! Nice catch!!! It has no edge that's been modified, but I flipped it and there is no sound what so ever! Crazy!! you learn something new everyday. Thank's for the help man. :thumbsup:

No problem, most of the double-sided coins known are the result of brockages, where a coin gets caught in the die and flipped over, then the incoming planchet is struck by the obverse/reverse die and the coin stuck inside the striking chamber with it. Here's a famous example;

The "Obverse" and Reverse
60023602m.jpg

Note the design on the side struck with the trapped coin is totally reversed. Design elements would be incuse as well.

Oh that makes sense. Awesome coin, wish I found something that sweet! Thanks again for the info. I always try to listen when someone gives advice or insight.

No problem, most of the double-sided coins known are the result of brockages, where a coin gets caught in the die and flipped over, then the incoming planchet is struck by the obverse/reverse die and the coin stuck inside the striking chamber with it. Here's a famous example;

The "Obverse" and Reverse
60023602m.jpg

Note the design on the side struck with the trapped coin is totally reversed. Design elements would be incuse as well.

What's the value on something like that?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back