Something unusual...

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
In going through my boxes today I am finding something unusual.

About a third of all the coins in the boxes are 1981 P. All of them are uncirculated and toned.

I'm starting on my third box and Ill bet I have already gone through 1000 of this date and mint mark so far. When I open a box I look for silver and in the last box there were 14 rolls with a 1981 P showing.

Did someone raid their grandpa's collection or is this someones way of marking their coins?

What do you think?

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
placerman said:
In going through my boxes today I am finding something unusual.

About a third of all the coins in the boxes are 1981 P. All of them are uncirculated and toned.

I'm starting on my third box and Ill bet I have already gone through 1000 of this date and mint mark so far. When I open a box I look for silver and in the last box there were 14 rolls with a 1981 P showing.

Did someone raid their grandpa's collection or is this someones way of marking their coins?

What do you think?

Think they are ALL clad, if they were 1970 or before you'd have a real puzzle to ponder, seein they is rejects i'd dump'em fast; I've had solid boxes of single years before in fact a couple with 1997's that wer brand spankin new shiny wide rimmed too- never been in circulation figured.

OP
OP
P

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I am finding later date coins in there too so I know they haven't been sitting since 1981 but this is really weird.

So far in the third box I have found 17 solid rolls of 1981 P.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
placerman said:
I am finding later date coins in there too so I know they haven't been sitting since 1981 but this is really weird.

So far in the third box I have found 17 solid rolls of 1981 P.

Just for fun I have been picking out a couple of date mintmark combinations that are rejects and putting them in a bag to all be dumped at one time. The odds of a CRher stumbling across my odd dump is probably low, but pennies and nickels don't cost much to hold on to for a little while and if I need the cash sooner, I can always just dump what has accumulated so far...

Of course in my case the coins will all be at varying degrees of circulation.

Bayman

Feb 21, 2010
Chesapeake Bay VA.
Detector(s) used
Whites XL PRO
I don't like to sound negative, I try to give everyone the benefit of a doubt. But that would be an easy way to replace rolls that were taken out of the box for keepers. Maybe before they ever arrived at the bank?

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
It happens. I just dumped 3 entire boxes of 1995 ps in brand new condition.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
1981-P's you can probably sell on Ebay for profit... all uncirculated 80's issue rolls can be sold for some profit.

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
I was pulling out all 1974D's also 71d, 72p, 73D to look for DDO's...so I was able to tell when I got one of my dumps that was missing those mint mark year combination's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions