Son like Father - Update on the date range

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son had 45 minutes of light left to get a quick hunt in yesterday on his way home from work. He started out dismally, his batteries died on his camera, had to change them and his batteries on his CZ70 were dying. But just in time, he did manage a coin reading and happily, his first old coin of the year appeared.

No, not a Large Cent, it is a William III Copper Halfpence 1695-1701, if he brings it to my house I might be able to narrow the date down a bit more if I can see certain details.

This was my son's 7th William III copper and not a bad way to start off the new year.

HH

Don

Attachments

• copper in ground.jpg
    copper in ground.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 979
  • copper in hand.jpg
    copper in hand.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 976
  • Dan WilliamIII reduced.jpg
    Dan WilliamIII reduced.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 968
Upvote 0
. . . very nice find . . . congrats . . . whats the name of the reference book you used and who's the author . . . I'ld like to pick one up . . . thanks.

jc2 said:
. . . very nice find . . . congrats . . . whats the name of the reference book you used and who's the author . . . I'd like to pick one up . . . thanks.

I do not have the book that a fellow Colonial Coin Collector bought on e-bay a few years ago and emailed me the pages that I wanted on William and Mary and William III coins.

If you want what portion I have of the book I can email it, PM me your email addy and I have a PDF file of the pages that were sent to me.

BTW, I would love to find a copy of this book also, I see it listed but at the amount shown, I can do without for now! :)

Here is the title of the book along with a photo of the cover.

Publisher is SEABY

Don

Attachments

• Book%20Front.jpg
    Book%20Front.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 283
Hi.
Nice find, thought you might be interested in photo.
Pete in the uk.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 256
tightlines said:
Hi.
Nice find, thought you might be interested in photo.
Pete in the uk.

Thanks for posting the photo, that is of a 1697 Type 1 William III and if you compare with my son's , you can see the different positioning of the hair ribbon (ponytail) Type III which is 1699-1701

Don

I did attach the page my son used for determining the date range of his coin. :)

Attachments

• William III coins.jpg
    William III coins.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 238
Nice find. Cant wait to find anything prior to 1829, cant wait to swing my detector, useless in 8" of snow right now.

HH

FB

. . . thanks for the info . . . 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back