Apr 21, 2015
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Master Hunter 7,
Whites Goldmaster 66TR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking about a conversation I had with a fellow many years ago and wonder what you guys think.

We were talking and I happened to mention to him that I enjoyed using a metal detector. He laughed said that if he were to hide money, it would be paper money in a plastic or glass container. This was many years ago when I was still using an old White's 66TR detector and I told him that if I knew that was indeed what I was looking for, I thought I could still find it. This was before ground balancing and I reasoned that since my detector was sensitive to minerals in the ground, it would give a rise in tone if tuned to the "metal" side and a drop in tone if tuned to the "mineral" side because the container the money was hidden in would create a void in the minerals that naturally occurred in the soil at that area.

Don't know if this theory would work in actual practice but it made me sound like I knew what I was talking about and gave him something to think about. What do you guys think?

Upvote 0
Sounded good but would not work with a metal detector.....maybe ground penetrating radar or something similar.

I remember the 66TR's ability to detect voids. The 66TR was my first machine too (mid 1970s). But in ACTUAL PRACTICE, it was of little use. You would more-than-likely just figure your machine had drifted. Rather than thinking "aha! a void that must be a jar with paper cash!"

And let's be brutally honest: How often do you think someone way-back-when, went through the mental process that your friend mused, would ever actually have transpired ? Eg.: Someone thinking: "I'm going to bury a cache. But durnit, some may come along some day with a metal detector. Hmmm, I KNOW: I'll have it all in paper cash, with all plastic or glass so that no md'rs can detect it !" Highly unlikely. Esp. since you consider that the era of modern detecting didn't really get started in popularity till the 1960s (earlier detectors were clumsy, and only detected larger objects, and the hobby was relatively unknown in most areas)

If you had a *specific* location, where you already *knew* someone did such a precaution, then perhaps. But otherwise, to spend time walking around detecting with the 66TR looking for threshold dropouts (voids) would be a waste of time, IMHO.

Some of the earlier TM808 two box machines had a cave/void setting, but, it probably wouldn't pick up on a small void.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back