What's new

SoWeGa Dalton varients

kinchafoonee

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2013
Messages
314
Reaction score
373
Golden Thread
0
Location
SoWeGa
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All personal finds.
 

Attachments

  • DSC04258.webp
    DSC04258.webp
    114.2 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
Those are great! I have trouble with determining Dalton and Hardaway points. I have one that is without a doubt a Hardaway or a dalton. I actually think its a Hardaway/dalton.

image-1304305724.webp

I have another that I'm not sure of. Help if you can.

image-2528257245.webp

Thanks! You have a great collection.
 
Thanks guys. Couple of nice ones you have there too NC field hunter.
 
Hey, NC Field Hunter. Those are some really nice finds! I am no expert, but in my opinion the first point is definitely a Dalton. It appears to be what would be known as a "classic" Dalton type. The second, however, is hard to identify by just a photo. The Daltons and Yadkins can have a very similar profile, but they are very different in their manufacture, and of course the two are thousands of years apart on the archaeological time scale. If it is a Dalton, the base should be heavily ground. Sometimes there is a distinct angle on the Dalton, giving it shoulders, which separate the base from the blade portion, but sometimes the two can seem continuous as far as profile. So the grinding on the base should be a determining factor. The flaking patterns are also different between the two, but I am not very educated on the exact flaking differences. Daltons do usually have fine secondary flaking and serrations on the edges, whereas Yadkins usually have broader, more random overall flaking with not much secondary flaking, although they can sometimes be serrated also. I hope this helps.
 
Hey, NC Field Hunter. Those are some really nice finds! I am no expert, but in my opinion the first point is definitely a Dalton. It appears to be what would be known as a "classic" Dalton type. The second, however, is hard to identify by just a photo. The Daltons and Yadkins can have a very similar profile, but they are very different in their manufacture, and of course the two are thousands of years apart on the archaeological time scale. If it is a Dalton, the base should be heavily ground. Sometimes there is a distinct angle on the Dalton, giving it shoulders, which separate the base from the blade portion, but sometimes the two can seem continuous as far as profile. So the grinding on the base should be a determining factor. The flaking patterns are also different between the two, but I am not very educated on the exact flaking differences. Daltons do usually have fine secondary flaking and serrations on the edges, whereas Yadkins usually have broader, more random overall flaking with not much secondary flaking, although they can sometimes be serrated also. I hope this helps.

You know your stuff. The woodland points seem to have larger but more uniformed flaking, where the older stuff has sporadic percussion flaking all over. Here is one I have had for a while and can't figure it's type out. Can you give it a swing? Sorry if I have hijacked the thread. I figure this may help the original poster as well.

image-219063101.webp



image-1655721977.webp



image-2993286734.webp



image-1163582422.webp

Thanks for any help!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom