The Jersey diggers did find some with chop marks on the beaches from the dredging, for what it's worth.
Beware of the fantasy issues with the chop marks on the pillars. I've seen these all over ebay. I'm not saying yours is, just passing on some info. Take a look a the chops and then look at these listings:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1794-SPAIN...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1794-SPAIN...855561?hash=item1ca5aff189:g:qHIAAOSwg3NanBuJ
There are other issues with the coin such as the matching die break "thingy" on "8R" but comparing yours with the 2 listings above really shows you all you need to know.
Sorry, haha I found it on a beach in NJ. I mean, I really like it Dirtwisher but I already found more gold coins than silver coins so I am just trying to figure out the value of this one. Thank you for the positive feedback!
@Aureus: It's the divestiture aversion that gold creates!
? I really need to up my game on the research and get on some much better sites. Can’t wait to see the gold coins. Hoping they’re not these common 19th Century gold coins. Guessing they’re 18th Century Escudos or something killer like that. Post em upWouldn't it apply to silver as well?
I'd have a better chance at hitting the moon with a ball bearing from a sling shot than to find 3 genuine 1794 Mexico city 8 reales with the same 2 chop marks in the exact the same places and the same exact 8R die breaks. Astronomical odds.
? [emoji12]Sorry, haha I found it on a beach in NJ. I mean, I really like it Dirtwisher but I already found more gold coins than silver coins so I am just trying to figure out the value of this one. Thank you for the positive feedback!
Is everyone except gwdigger, crabstang44 and myself being sarcastic or did no one else read gwdigger's post??Go back to page 2 and read as the post tells you what you need to know. Spanish pieces of Eight that were minted in Mexico City or anywhere else from the 1500's well into the 1800's were not struck with Dies that had Chopmarks on them. These were added by the Chinese when the coins circulated in and were used for money in China.