What's new

Spanish Cob?

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
I got just home from digging this coin. I am still shaking. I am thinking this is some sort of Spanish Reales? How old do you think it is?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0553.webp
    IMG_0553.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0554.webp
    IMG_0554.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0555.webp
    IMG_0555.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0557.webp
    IMG_0557.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0558.webp
    IMG_0558.webp
    49 KB · Views: 235
Wow Garibaldi, I'd be shaking too! Congratulations, you must put this up on today's finds too so everyone can see it! As far as how old, the ancient coin guys will probably tell you soon...meanwhile based on the infinitesimally tiny bit I know about cobs, I think it "dates" from 1655, but that doesn't mean it was made then.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you Johnnyi. I took your suggestion and put it on todays finds.
 
Upvote 0
Ha! Garibaldi, I just read the verdict on "today's finds'. Good guess, eh? :D
 
Upvote 0
You are the man. Wow 1655 coin. I can't believe it. Keeps getting better. Thank you Johnnyi. :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
So the coin is,
"Looking at my Sedwick's Practical Book of Cobs, the only "Pillars and Waves" cob that would have both an "E" for the assayer and a "55" for the date is a 1655 issue of Potosi, Bolivia, Assayer = Antonio de Ergueta. Size looks to be a 1 reale. That is quite a find. A true "Golden Oldie"! (artorius)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom