What's new

Spanish coin?

mick56

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2007
Messages
1,348
Reaction score
1,149
Golden Thread
1
Location
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I found this coin on craigslist. The seller says it is a silver 1726 Spanish coin. The pics are not very good. Can anybody verify this? They are asking $25.
 

Attachments

  • spain.webp
    spain.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 331
  • spain2.webp
    spain2.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 331
sorry I cant help ID it , but it sure is a sweet coin
 
It's a Carlos IV (IIII) reales coin minted in Mexico City in 1796. Carlos IV reigned between 1788 and 1808 so the coin, if real, couldn't be dated 1726.
If it's a 4-reales, it will weigh 13.54 grams and be 34 mm in diameter. If an 8-reales, it would weight just over 27 grams and be 40 mm in diameter. If real, the coin would contain .896 fine silver.

The legends will read: CAROLUS IIII DEI GRATIA (YEAR)
The reverse legend will read: HISPAN ET IND REX M (4 or eight) R then the two letters for the assayers name (FM).
The edge of a real coin will be 'corded'

If it turns out to be a real 4-reales coin as I described above, you have a real winner (several years ago that coin was worth about $150 in VG). If it's an 8-reales coin, several years ago the coin was worth about $20 in VG condition.
Don........
 
I think this is a 2 Real coin, but it is hard to tell. I would say that with the gash down the front of it, it isn't worth that price unless it is a 4R.

Regards,


Buckles
 
Easiest ways to tell, if unable to read it on the coin, is to measure its diameter and weigh it. If its 28 mm in dia. and weighs half of a 4-, then it's a 2-reales.
I was hoping the 'scratch' was on the case, not the coin. Either way, unless it's a four, I wouldn't encapsulate the coin; but if it's a 4-, I'd have it certified.
Don....
 
Your looking at $10-$15 dollars max and in excellent shape.
 
The scratch is in the plastic case, not on the coin.
 
It is real, the date is 1796, I wouldn't pay more than $25.00
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom