Spanish Gold in British Columbia

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
The location of Jack Moulds Slumach Claim on Southgate peak at the head of Bute Inlet. It was here where he found an old Spanish Mine back in 1989. He thought his find was connected to Slumachs gold it is not. But an old spanish mine is a huge find all its own. He also found an old Spanish Treasure marker which he claimed was Jacksons tent shape rock on the top of one of the mountains on his claim. Perhaps there is still something to be found by the Treasure Hunter and Prospector on this claim. Jack Mould himself died searching for his treasure in the summer of 2007. Jack Mould drowned in the Southgate river. Jack had found in the Archives in Seville a document that talked about a missing Spanish galleon that sank at the head of Bute inlet with a cargo of ore. Take notice of the name of one of the other rivers on the map. Jack was looking for looking for Spanish Treasure when he died. There must be much more up there still waiting to be found.

Come look at the map
www.spindlequest.com/spanishgold.html

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Ditto to my amigo Cynangel's word - <tag> ;D and will add, VERY interesting story amigo, I look forward to reading more! :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Don Jose' wrote
get off of yer lazy bu---er milk stools and post. Daryl has tons of extremely interesting data.

Er....uh....well amigo, what about you? We are ready, able and willing to read your words, if you care to post? Thank you in advance,

I do not know much about the Spanish activity in BC, other than they WERE active there in a very secretive way starting in the 1700's if memory serves, and "secretive" because they continued well after British control of the region was well established. I have read a couple of stories about the Lost Slumach mine, but working from memory alone on such info as I gathered from two magazine articles leaves me unable to add much that might be of any help. I would bet that our amigo Cynangel may well have much more info on this lost mine as it is closer to her stomping grounds - what do you say Cynangel? Thank you in advance as well,
Oroblanco

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Oroblanco said:
I do not know much about the Spanish activity in BC, other than they WERE active there in a very secretive way starting in the 1700's if memory serves, and "secretive" because they continued well after British control of the region was well established.

They left many place names in this area (Galiano, Valdez, Juan de Fuca, Saturna, Gabriola, etc.) and made some amazingly accurate marine charts.

Jay

terrible1

Greenie
Jul 13, 2009
I would question the document if they said the ship was laden with ore. Why would they ship ore? They would have concentrated and smelted it into bars on site and shipped them. No sense in shipping a ton of ore when you can ship a ton of gold... right?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
HOLA amigos,

WELCOME TO TREASURENET Terrible1! :thumbsup:

Terrible1 wrote
I would question the document if they said the ship was laden with ore. Why would they ship ore? They would have concentrated and smelted it into bars on site and shipped them. No sense in shipping a ton of ore when you can ship a ton of gold... right?

It is wise to always question every document involved in treasure research. One POSSIBLE answer to why Spanish would choose to ship out ore rather than refined gold is <speculating here> if they were doing the mining surreptitiously, in British controlled lands without permission. In such a case, especially if the ore were quite rich, it would be wise for the men to haul the ore out as quickly as possible, sail to Spanish domains where they could then process it at leisure. Smelting down gold ore is time consuming and likely to emit a fair volume of SMOKE, which is very likely to attract attention of any passing Brit ships or Brit patrols on land. Spying a plume of smoke coming from some remote canyon would surely get their curiosity up, and this would not be good for Spanish gold miners working illegally in British Domains. Sheesh sorry for taking the long way round there, hope you know what I am trying to say - seems I can't say it right. This is pure speculation of course, for it is more logical to ship out refined gold rather than tons of rock ore, except in certain circumstances - ie illegal mining.
Oroblanco
:coffee2:

terrible1

Greenie
Jul 13, 2009
I follow you, I guess they could have ground and washed the ore as well and were taking the concentrates. Maybe they were shipping ore a short distance to a smelter site down the coast some.

Just curious as to the way they worked as we are working a large site right now. Several mines, smelter, storage and living area. I have a good grasp on how they were working the immediate area but if I can find some other ways they operated it may open things up even more. Thanks for the different view!

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oroblanco said:
HOLA amigos,

WELCOME TO TREASURENET Terrible1! :thumbsup:

Terrible1 wrote

It is wise to always question every document involved in treasure research. One POSSIBLE answer to why Spanish would choose to ship out ore rather than refined gold is <speculating here> if they were doing the mining surreptitiously, in British controlled lands without permission. In such a case, especially if the ore were quite rich, it would be wise for the men to haul the ore out as quickly as possible, sail to Spanish domains where they could then process it at leisure. Smelting down gold ore is time consuming and likely to emit a fair volume of SMOKE, which is very likely to attract attention of any passing Brit ships or Brit patrols on land. Spying a plume of smoke coming from some remote canyon would surely get their curiosity up, and this would not be good for Spanish gold miners working illegally in British Domains. Sheesh sorry for taking the long way round there, hope you know what I am trying to say - seems I can't say it right. This is pure speculation of course, for it is more logical to ship out refined gold rather than tons of rock ore, except in certain circumstances - ie illegal mining.
Oroblanco
:coffee2:
I have lived in british columbia all my life, in 1986 we found what we believed to be the location of the lost spanish mine. we staked the area and still have it today, on the ocean we have found much evidance of the spainish, "old bentwood boxes etc" this winter we found a small mud cove that should have mud, it has fine quartz instead, i now think it is tailings from a smelter. there is a small fire pitt that is very odd, ill get pictures of it.
the indians that lived there look white , i have lived with they all my life and i think they are spanish, possibly decended from the spanish miners, white skin and green eyes. :icon_thumleft:

:tongue3:you can shrug me off but you cant deny the evidance.

Attachments

• WALTS41F.JPG
    WALTS41F.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,235

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear hmmm;
Not all Spaniards had white skin and green eyes, my friend. :) The greatest percentage of Spanish explorers and colonists migrated from the southern and central regions of Spain, where they tended to be short in stature, swarthy, with jet black hair, hawk nosed, very dark skinned and dark eyed. This was, and still is, due to some 400 odd years of Moorish influence on the Iberian peninsula.

The northern Spaniards tended to be lighter skinned with lighter colored eyes and hair. These regions were Catalunya and Valencia.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Adacan

Jul 10, 2011
You know its really funny, i came across this i live and grew up in New Westminster and use to hunt and fish in the upper part of Pitt lake in the first valley, and as i have and know of 2 people that have found the rock formation of a tent in the third valley of that area.. which i am concluding its bute inlet area... but it really fascinated me and i am intrigued with this and would love to follow it deeper and possibly take a trip out there one day...

Takers...

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Welcome to Treasurenet Adacam! :hello2: :thumbsup:

I hope you will keep us posted with your adventures! :read2:

Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

B.C. Hunter

Greenie
Nov 22, 2005
Vancouver Island
I'm planning on going fishing up the Bute in the next few weeks,
once we limit out, We'll run up to the head of the inlet (about 80km)
And see if we can't maybe find some of all that gold that attracted the Spanish!!!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Ah, still working on that doctorate amigo, the big trick is leaving it looking as if you had not even been there. :thumbsup: No need to attract unwanted attention, or "silent partners"! :o :o :o

Oro de Tayopa, er Oroblanco ;D

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
ah mi amigo and mi tropical tramp it is so good to see you both again! Seems you are still having a great deal of fun pokin at each other as well! I have missed you both and am ever so glad to see you are both getting your two cents in on this post. I am not at all familiar with that legend or area but find it very interesting. At the moment I am much further from there than usual but still interesting of course! Good to see ya! :hello:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
A big Dakota HOWDY pard! Good to see you posting again Cynangel! Haven't seen your posts lately and figured you must have struck Blue Bucket gold with your hubby, too busy panning it out to fool with us old pharts. ;D Since your prolonged absence, I have been forced to parry the many foils, touche's & barbs of our able Don Jose single handed so I hope you came prepared to deal with him. :D

I don't know much of this legend either but it sure is interesting. :read2: :thumbsup:

Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread