Spanish Mines

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
Here is my uneducated guess as to why those rocks are positioned above the mine like that. I'm thinking a lookout position where a guy with a rifle (or bow/arrow??) could cover the entrance to the mine. Did they do that in those days? Maybe the person that was mining sat there when he came back to the mine (from outposts, etc) until he was sure that no one had followed him back to the mine. Sounds like it would be a good position to cover that area and take out anyone that had followed him back with the intention of robbing him or jumping his claim? Probably crazy thoughts.

Ryan1979

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
That could be. In the spring I'll dig out around the rest of it just to be sure. There are much better spots for a lookout in the area, but who knows.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
bump
smiley-signs097.gif

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It shouldn't be long now. Most of the snow is gone. I think I'll go have a look next week if the Forest Service opened the road in.

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sorry about the lack of activity. We got another six inches of snow day before yesterday. It will be another couple of weeks before it dries out enough to get up there.

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I made a trip to this site yesterday, finally. The rock structure still looks almost exactly like it did in the fall. This leads me to believe that it took a very long time to fill in the depression uphill of the stones. The mine entrance below, which I did not fully uncover last year because it was too late in the year, has filled in slightly. A half day with one other person helping and I should be able to have the mine open. I'll also do some more work around the little stone structure. More coming soon.

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It's been a busy summer. I did some digging this spring and I estimate a couple of hours to get the mine open. My partner has been tied up all summer also. My wife is a good sport about me exploring and prospecting, just not by myself. Sorry to keep everybody hanging. Here's some pics of an old mine that the forest service put a gate in. I talked to the geologist about it last fall- he doesn't think anyones been in it for years.

Attachments

• mine1 (929 x 697).jpg
    mine1 (929 x 697).jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 1,645
  • mine2 (2112 x 1584).jpg
    mine2 (2112 x 1584).jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 1,641
  • mine3 (2112 x 1584).jpg
    mine3 (2112 x 1584).jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 1,644

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Cool Pics,

so this is NOT the mine you are refering to that you need to open up? Looks like the mine you have pictured would go pretty deep if the tailings are anything to go by.

Please keep us informed with any developments to this story, I think most people are finding this an interesting thread.

sasnz

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Right. The mine pictured in the last post is a totoally different mine. The mine in the original post has a much smaller tailings pile (you can barely tell it's a tailings pile) and is presumably much older. The one with the gate is from the early 1900's.

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2fishon said:
Right. The mine pictured in the last post is a totoally different mine. The mine in the original post has a much smaller tailings pile (you can barely tell it's a tailings pile) and is presumably much older. The one with the gate is from the early 1900's.

Are you in Arizona?? Didnt see anything written about what state you are in. Just figured if you were within a a few hours drive i could help ya dig

Tim

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I'm in Utah, but thanks for the offer.

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Hi 2fishion

That mine in the picture after a closer examination looks as tho it has railway tracks coming from it, This to me would conclude that they definately were getting something out of it. the first picture showing the entrance, can you tell me if the white in the picture just above the entrance is quartz, looks like it from the pics but pics can be deceptive. If this is the case then i would be in my mind very excited to investigate further. Although i wouldnt explore without a gas reader and the appropriare breathing aperatus, as you only get to live once, and of course not alone.

The mine that you are hoping to open up, why are you interested in this paticular mine??? this could be just a drill sample so to speak that produced little. just a thought. what makes you think that this could be a bonanza? not trying to be pesimestic, just curious??

Regardless I find this thread very interesting as i have some similar fields similar not far from me.

keep posting

regards Sasnz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread