Spanish Mines

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I dug out the bottom of that ring of stones today. I found nothing in the bottom, no bedrock, no flat stone, no ashes, not any sign at all of a fire. I did discover that it is not a ring of stones after all, just a horseshoe shape. The loose dirt only goes down about 2 feet. A couple of feet uphill from the stones the ore vein is right near the surface, only a few inches. Is it possible they built this stone catch to prevent the ore vein from being eroded? If that was their intent it worked perfectly. I had no idea it was so close to the surface right there.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2fishon said:
Is it possible they built this stone catch to prevent the ore vein from being eroded? If that was their intent it worked perfectly. I had no idea it was so close to the surface right there.

Maybe, but I'd imagine if they found the vein outcropping like that they would have just dug the vein out. Who knows. Are there any minerals in the vein? It might just be a weird natural occurrence, the horseshoe thing.

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
There are minerals in the vein. I've got samples at an assayer right now. It's the same vein where there is a mine downhill. I'm going to dig around those stones more next time I get up there.

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The samples I sent in for assay came back not so good. I sent in a sample from surface areas. I plan on opening this mine and collecting samples from inside, hopefully at the face.

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I sent in two samples. Both from the surface area. I still have not opened the mine, so no samples from the good stuff. Both were fire assays. Neither had any gold. One was .001 silver, and the other was .18 ounces per ton of silver.

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The next step is to open this mine and see what's inside. :o

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
That is a pretty good website. I have his field notebook. I hope I need to use it soon.

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I went back today and did some more digging. That ring of stones is really bothering me. I did find a small amount of ashes in it today, about 18" deep. Very small though, no more than a pint. There is a branch from a living cedar tree that was cut with a saw right near the stones. I can't imagine why anyone would have done that recently. It's near the end of the branch like they were just cutting it to get it out of their way. I dug inside and outside the stones down to rock. I still haven't come up with any ideas on what it is or why it was built. Last time I dug down to the top of the mine opening. I dug quite a bit more this time. I'm off for two weeks after this one and this mine is getting opened.

Attachments

• 1 (1408 x 1056).jpg
    1 (1408 x 1056).jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 2,722
  • 2 (929 x 697).jpg
    2 (929 x 697).jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 2,679
  • 3 (1408 x 1056).jpg
    3 (1408 x 1056).jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 2,652
  • 4 (929 x 697).jpg
    4 (929 x 697).jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 2,631
  • 5 (929 x 697).jpg
    5 (929 x 697).jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 2,567
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI: It is obviously man made, naturally.. How large in dia is it? Many times a crude one room hut was constructed if an Indian was going to be in an area for period of time, but no larger than necessary. Similar to a one man tent.

Your evidence of perhaps a small fire tends to back this thought up.

One thing for certain , it was NOT an arrastre

Don Jose de La Mancha .

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, PLEASE TAKE THE UTMOST PRECAUTION IN THE MINE!!

I'm starting to think the rock pile is to hide a camp fire for whoever was working the mine. See how the back side of it faces downhill? Building a wall like that would prevent anyone below from seeing the camp fire. I found a spot like this last year. Pretty neat :)

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I was thinking the same thing. The only problem is there is no indication (other than that very small amount of ashes) that it was used for a fire. The rocks have no blackening at all. It's also about 75 yards up a steep slope from the mine opening. Still, your idea makes the most sense so far. I was really hoping it was protecting a ventilation shaft, bummer.

OP
OP

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Nothing new on this one. October is a busy month with the deer and elk hunters. This mine is just off an atv trail and I didn't want anyone to get curious and start nosing around. I didn't open the mine entrance because I didn't think I'd have time to do much before winter and I didn't want it to be open to rain and snow. I should be able to get after it again in February or March. The Forest Service closes the road into the area for the winter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread