Clovis4343

Clovis4343

Sep 1, 2021
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find... I have to ask... did you wipe off the 2R when you found it ?
It appears to have light sand scratches across it.
IF you did ... this is why i tell people not to do this... i say this because the lines are indicative of this.

Your coin is in still in great condition... and is rare in this condition and commands a premium...
and without those scratches would have been worth a 10 times more without them.
Your coin is a mint state coin... and could have ranked super high without them.
Don't fret though... its still up there... just lower on the scale due to it.

IF you did not cause these... then ?
At some point someone did... OR... cleaned it improperly.
Which is the worst thing one can do... especially to something like this.
This truly had the potential to be a super high dollar + coin.
I did wipe it after I poured water on it but I should of sprayed it off to get all dirt off of it first

Reactions: ARC

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard coin to find!!!!! Very nice!!

Saker

Jan 12, 2021
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CTX3030, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds there. That reale is excellent. Looks like an incredible site you found.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMAZING FINDS !!! Thank you for sharing with us :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did wipe it after I poured water on it but I should of sprayed it off to get all dirt off of it first
Well dont worry... i learned this the hard way as well many moons ago.

But i will tell the story of the guy i know that wiped a coin off once...
It went from 1500 to 150 in a wipe.
Sand / dirt is the single WORST thing on a coin.
Nothing is worse.
Best is to have a bottled water with you (to drink as well) and when you pop a coin grab from edge only and gently pour water over it... DONT RUB or touch surface with anything.
Wash off completely of any particles.
Then wrap in a kleenex or even better a piece of cotton strip (rip an old cotton shirt up) and fold it over and stick in pocket,
Make sure no dirt / debris / sand remains.
When home rinse in sink with hard pressure really hot water... after rinse thoroughly... use a magnifying glass to look at both side to make sure all sand is off... then take small drop of dish detergent and drop on and GENTLY rub with FINGERS ONLY... and only for about 30 seconds each side max.
Then re- rinse soap OFF THOUROUGHLY... this is SUPER IMPORTANT not to leave ANY soap residue.
Minutes of rinsing and adjusting fingers on rim to different spots is key. HOT water rinse.
LAy on soft towel fold over and press dry.

Let it finish drying by AIR ONLY... once dried thoroughly... NEVER touch the coin again other than by the rim.
Once dried place in a NON PVC holder / item.
Plastic baggies are NOT good for coins... use for ONLY a very very very short term only until you get proper holder.
Store in cool DRY place.
If done promptly and correctly you will ensure its uncompromised integrity over time.
Everything and anything can effect a coins long term condition.
Handling and storage being the utmost 2.

Your coin is definitely the caliber of coin the above should apply.
AND.... THE / YOUR new lesson in this to ensure future finds are as they popped out.
Minus the damage of course :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clovis4343

Clovis4343

Sep 1, 2021
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well dont worry... i learned this the hard way as well many moons ago.

But i will tell the story of the guy i know that wiped a coin off once...
It went from 1500 to 150 in a wipe.
Sand / dirt is the single WORST thing on a coin.
Nothing is worse.
Best is to have a bottled water with you (to drink as well) and when you pop a coin grab from edge only and gently pour water over it... DONT RUB or touch surface with anything.
Wash off completely of any particles.
Then wrap in a kleenex or even better a piece of cotton strip (rip an old cotton shirt up) and fold it over and stick in pocket,
Make sure no dirt / debris / sand remains.
When home rinse in sink with hard pressure really hot water... after rinse thoroughly... use a magnifying glass to look at both side to make sure all sand is off... then take small drop of dish detergent and drop on and GENTLY rub with FINGERS ONLY... and only for about 30 seconds each side max.
Then re- rinse soap OFF THOUROUGHLY... this is SUPER IMPORTANT not to leave ANY soap residue.
Minutes of rinsing and adjusting fingers on rim to different spots is key. HOT water rinse.
LAy on soft towel fold over and press dry.

Let it finish drying by AIR ONLY... once dried thoroughly... NEVER touch the coin again other than by the rim.
Once dried place in a NON PVC holder / item.
Plastic baggies are NOT good for coins... use for ONLY a very very very short term only until you get proper holder.
Store in cool DRY place.
If done promptly and correctly you will ensure its uncompromised integrity over time.
Everything and anything can effect a coins long term condition.
Handling and storage being the utmost 2.

Your coin is definitely the caliber of coin the above should apply.
AND.... THE / YOUR new lesson in this to ensure future finds are as they popped out.
Minus the damage of course :)
Thanks ..I wish I would taken more time to rinse it off but I think the excitement made me rush things to quickly...it will not happen again I'll be doing just as you said to do

Reactions: ARC

Fumunda/tones

Feb 13, 2023
Was able to get out to do some swinging toady and was rewarded with a few good finds..i about crapped my pants when the spanish reale popped out of the ground ..also found a 1916 wheat and a few buttons..I'm guessing the eagle A button is from the civil war time frame??
Wow.....amazing. great job! I would be stoked too..HH

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ..I wish I would taken more time to rinse it off but I think the excitement made me rush things to quickly...it will not happen again I'll be doing just as you said to do
I see it it a lot when I watch digging vids (which is rare due to many reasons) I literally cringe when i see it.
Getting excited is normal... and its easy to forget... like i said... i also did it long ago and lived with the result.
The good thing is... it will be embedded and you wont forget again.
For... every time you check out your coin you will remember it.... like i did.
So...
When you pop future coins the memory / image in your head of those scratches will remind you to grab your water first and resist that urge "to see".

Be happy though... scratched or not...
your coin is better than any i have found in at least a decade... so :)

Last edited:

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice coin. Since nobody else replied about the button, yes, Pre-civil war Eagle A for US Artillery, used right through the Civil War, I would stick to that site until there were no readings left....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread