Spears

Jddosha74

Jan 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've come across two Spears that I don't have any idea what they are and can't find anything even close to them on the internet I was wondering if I can get some help the spearhead is about 12in long serrated and has a unique twist to it the wooden part is close to six feet long and I think made out of some kind of bamboo total length is probably six and a half feet long approximately there's some feathers lashed on to the end please get some help identifying maybe even pricing but something like this is worth

Attachments

• 1579563156179-104507245.jpg
    1579563156179-104507245.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 1579563083423-1580502142.jpg
    1579563083423-1580502142.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 127
Welcome to tnet! Your item looks like a fishing arrow. But am unsure of where it is from.

Upvote 0
We need to see detailed pics of the item and any back story associated with it (like where did you get it...).

Based on the pics you posted I would guess it is a mid 20th century tourist item - maybe from the Pacific Northwest or Alaska or even an African tribal piece. But you haven't provided enough information to support any conclusions.

Upvote 0
Thx for the better pics.

Do a search on 'sibat igorot' - Philippines style spears... That's as close as I can find...

I still think yours is a tourist piece. The real spears I saw on line all had hardwood shafts - not bamboo. And I only saw feathers on the costume spears.

1280px-Krieger_1926_Philippine_ethnic_weapons_Plate_5.png

Upvote 0
Forged iron spears/lances with a point, a twist to the shaft, and then a second blade (serrated or not) are most usually associated with West and Central Africa. I would think from the Congo (Tetela or similar) or more likely the Niger/Mali area (Dogon perhaps).

You’ll see similar things on sale at tourist markets in these regions and – although the sellers say they’re traditionally hand-crafted (mostly true) – they’re not very old and they don’t bother much with attempting to artificially antiquate them. In antiques centres in the more affluent parts of Africa you’ll often see more ‘authentic’ older ones, but not usually much older than the early-mid 1900s. Some of them (especially the elaborate ones which may also be embellished with copper strips) were never intended to be used as spears and served as currency items for use in bartering up until just after WWII. The shafts on these things may or may not be original (usually not).

My two cents… but you haven’t been very forthcoming with information.

Upvote 0
I wish i could be more forthcomming but this is all the info i have for them. I think you're right about them being from Africa but my two cents probably isn't even worth that. The patina or rust on them is barely even surfaced rest due to the fact that each and every one of these points is still very sharp one thing that I can add is that it is hard steel because the edges are still very sharp the points are extremely Sharp in my experience as you would think that the edges would be dulled if they were older but also being as a tourist item that you would at least be able to find pictures of the exact same Spears or the quality may not be as with good. I think everybody for their help and if anybody knows any more about it I'll be checking this regular tea and if there's any information that I might be leaving out that I don't even know that I'm not disclosing please let me know I really like these pieces and I would love to know everything about them

Upvote 0
Thats pretty cool if it was for tourists I would think there would be some kind of markings on it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back