Special Extra Social Security Credits for Vets

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received an e-mail from some buddies from the unit I retired from and if you go to this website and read and judge for yourself. Sounds like a few extra dollars per month of Social Security is available if you qualify and then you must present your DD 214s at the time you apply for Social Security to be able to apply for the extra money if you are eligible, it is not automatic.

http://www.ssa.gov:80/retire2/military.htm

It would be nice to know if anybody here or if anybody knows someone who has applied for Social Security if they did get the special extra credits for their military time.

Don

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Don, it looks to me like we are getting extra earnings credited to our Social Security account. This boosts our earned income over a certain time period, which may qualify us for increased monthly Social Security payments when (if) we retire. If I recall, you need to have worked a minimum of ten quarters in your lifetime to draw Social Security.

Hopefully, an SS expert will be able to give a better reply.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
If your active military service occurred

From 1957 through 1967, we will add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.
From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.
After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service.

I retired in 2007... nothing for me :(

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
78 to 81 I don't know what all this means as far as a dollar amount, but every extra dollar counts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread