Spencer Carbine Bullets Excavated from the Red River Campaign

May 17, 2018
Downsville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A first for me!

After a few hours of relic hunting, got a real strong signal, I started to dig and only got down about two inches so thought .... must be another shot gun shell! But to my surprise..... delicate to the touch, I could tell I had something old!

The first one came out of the ground almost complete, only missing a small portion of the cartridge! The second was found only 30 feet away!

The site was used by the Union Cavalry during the Battle of Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, to set up a ambush of the Confederate Army! These two Spencer Carbine bullets never completed their mission on April 9th, 1864!!

Below is the before and after my attempt at restoration! Fun to see the 1864 gun powder still in the cartridge!

A little history lesson for those who care to read~

The Spencer repeating rifle was a manually operated lever-action, seven shot repeating rifle produced in the United States by three manufacturers between 1860 and 1869. Designed by Christopher Spencer, it was fed with cartridges from a tube magazine in the rifle’s buttstock.

The Spencer repeating rifle was adopted by the Union Army, especially by the cavalry, during the American Civil War, but did not replace the standard issue muzzle-loading rifled muskets in use at the time. The Spencer carbine was a shorter and lighter version.

8.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

Upvote 21

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great saves!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice, good job

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job on the displaying of those finds. Congrats!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool finds. Congrats to you sir.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relics from the Red River campaign are probably pretty hard to come by these days as relic hunters from Texas and Louisiana have hit those sites hard. When I lived in Dallas in the early 1990s we drove over to Mansfield and hunted a place called Chapman's Bayou. A lot of the site was destroyed by gravel mining. Found a few shot bullets and one dropped three ringer was all. Now if you were hunting sites from the 1864 Valley Campaign in West Virginia, you would need a whole lot more display cases for your Spencers :thumbsup:

mhess22

Apr 24, 2007
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
White's Spectra V3i
White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and nice way to display them. Thanks for the write up.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Relics from the Red River campaign are probably pretty hard to come by these days as relic hunters from Texas and Louisiana have hit those sites hard. When I lived in Dallas in the early 1990s we drove over to Mansfield and hunted a place called Chapman's Bayou. A lot of the site was destroyed by gravel mining. Found a few shot bullets and one dropped three ringer was all. Now if you were hunting sites from the 1864 Valley Campaign in West Virginia, you would need a whole lot more display cases for your Spencers :thumbsup:

I do all my relic hunting in WV only found .69s so far

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do all my relic hunting in WV only found .69s so far
I probably have 150 Spencer Casings and a few complete ones, plus plenty of fired Spencers. and living in Pennsylvania I only get down there occasionally. If you hunt skirmish sites where cavalry were involved, between Shepardstown and Winchester, you will find them.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I probably have 150 Spencer Casings and a few complete ones, plus plenty of fired Spencers. and living in Pennsylvania I only get down there occasionally. If you hunt skirmish sites where cavalry were involved, between Shepardstown and Winchester, you will find them.

That's awesome I mostly hunt the western part of the state but will have to venture that way one day lol

OP
OP
R
May 17, 2018
Downsville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yes.... like most of the battles "West of the Mississippi" these sites were mostly lost to history until the early 1960s when a group of first generation metal detectorist started digging around Mansfield and Pleasant Hill! Heard stories all my life of them finding relics just laying around on the ground! Buckets of bullets and shrapnel they'd leave behind just because it was too heavy for their pockets! The "good ole days" as they reference it! Lucky for us 2nd and 3rd generation "relic hunters", the metal detectors just kept getting better and digging deeper so we still find a piece of Civil War treasure every once in a while, that they left behind! Would love to hunt the Virginia Campaigns.... Me and my buddy are always open to a road trip so a invitation would be great! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread