What's new

Spike, but for what?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Felinepeachy
  • Start date Start date
F

Felinepeachy

Guest
Okay, what is a spike like this used for? :dontknow:

It's about 11" long and 3/4 inch square.
 

Attachments

  • spike 001.webp
    spike 001.webp
    38.4 KB · Views: 610
Dunno :dontknow: but I pulled one just like it out of a chicken house foundation.
 
Upvote 0
Well hmmmmmm. I guess I can ask the old guy that gave it to me. :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
Cribbing spike. Used to connect large timber. I find them all the time along old logging RR grades.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like the spikes they used to kill Vampires :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:


Tim
 
Upvote 0
peach cat most likely RR related . :wink:
 
Upvote 0
lumbercamp said:
Cribbing spike. Used to connect large timber. I find them all the time along old logging RR grades.
I agree with that,I find them every one in a while and there was no rail roads near me
 
Upvote 0
Mine was embedded vertically in concrete about 4 feet high and had heavy gauge copper wire around it. Couldn't find it to take a pic, but it is identical.
 
Upvote 0
It's the tooth of a saber toothed harrow........NGE
 
Upvote 0
a harrow is a farm machine --its drug behind a tractor to break up the soil amd loosen it up so crops can be planted --it sort of like a bulldozer blade than runs at surface level --except it has spikes or "teeth" that dig down into the ground --busting it up . -- the teeth are damaged alot and get a lot of wear as well so they are "replacible" by design
 
Upvote 0
My old barn was held together by tons of them before it was torn down. They were used in later years than the wooden pegs commonly found in much older barns. Some are also serrated to help keep them from working their way out. They are used to hold large beams together where they join. I still have another barn standing that was built around 1800 and that one is hand hewn beams held together with wooden pegs.
 
Upvote 0
Jesus' was nailed to the cross with similar nails...NGE
 
Upvote 0
Looks like this to me...
 

Attachments

  • 2007454-m.webp
    2007454-m.webp
    130.5 KB · Views: 313
Upvote 0
Rusty cribbing spikes from along a logging RR grade. A little different shape then Felinepeachys, but are 3/4" square and 12" long and serve the same purpose.
 

Attachments

  • spikes.webp
    spikes.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 300
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom