Spikes, of interest to me

Warrington

Apr 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New at this. Watching YouTube as people search colonial sites, I thought "I live on one" (remaining acreage, large 1770 house, two barns and probable foundation holes) so I started in my back yard. 60 feet from house, 40 feet from nearest barn. *I select for "all metals" because I think old implements might be interesting. Before beginning, almost all construction on the site is mortise and tenon. In a trench about 4 feet long and a foot wide, I found a number of spikes, approximately in a line, separated about 9 inches apart. They are approximately 9 inches long, but irregular. I note that they are sharpened by a bevel, and the heads are all peened to a side. These do not appear to be anything used in residential construction. they do not appear to have been used (my guess) and there is no wood debris near them. Does anyone recognize them? I am wondering about a specific purpose, such as railroad spikes. In the same trench, I found any number of cut nails, of all sizes. Also a ring and some wire, I mention the latter as they seem to be products of the "industrial age", particularly the wire. I have attempted to upload pictures. Failing thereof, I will attempt again.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
W

Warrington

Apr 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig.JPG dig spike heads.JPG

Last edited:

Colonial Digger

May 6, 2019
illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, keep pounding your property, I have been doing mine for over 30, years and still find relics and coins maybe not as many as if I was on a new permission ,but when i have a hour or so I always try a new area on my property.

OP
OP
W

Warrington

Apr 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, keep pounding your property, I have been doing mine for over 30, years and still find relics and coins maybe not as many as if I was on a new permission ,but when i have a hour or so I always try a new area on my property.

Being a "colonial" property, I am surprised I have yet to find anything recognizably from that era. Much property has been lost to 'takings", highway, streets, power company. I have avoided areas near buildings, assuming nails would drive me crazy. Under a barn, I did locate a sterling "baby spoon", engraved with the name of the owner in 1860.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread