Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have had a major drought here in Oklahoma and all the creeks are almost completely dry, so we've been walking down the dry creekbeds and checking out places that are usually underwater. My daughter, Josie, found this the other day in a limestone creekbed. It was the only one like it in the creek bed.
It is very porus(I guess that's what you would call it?). And seems to be light weight for a rock this size, it weighs 1lb. 14ozs.
Did sea sponges fossilize?

Thanks for looking and any help!

Attachments

• IMG_2560 (650x576).jpg
    IMG_2560 (650x576).jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 3,125
  • IMG_2563 (650x538).jpg
    IMG_2563 (650x538).jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 3,942
  • IMG_2568 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_2568 (650x433).jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 930
  • IMG_2572 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_2572 (650x433).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,017
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
Maybe not a fossil sponge. Perhaps fossilized coral?
Maybe so, Tuberale---Just really eroded fossilized coral? Usually when we find fossilzed coral, you can see each individual cell.....Like this:

Thanks Tuberale!

Attachments

• IMG_1435 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_1435 (650x433).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,743
  • IMG_1435 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_1435 (650x433).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,522

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Sponges do become fossils . . . rather, sponge skeletons do preserve. Sponge skeletons are spicules of silica, so you can look for patterns of spikey snowflakes under some magnification.

Beyond the spicules, there is typically some pattern evident on the surface. I can't identify in your images any suggestion that this object was part of a living organism. Do you see such a pattern or symmetry?

You may learn more about it by breaking it in two.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry Pristis said:
Sponges do become fossils . . . rather, sponge skeletons do preserve. Sponge skeletons are spicules of silica, so you can look for patterns of spikey snowflakes under some magnification.

Beyond the spicules, there is typically some pattern evident on the surface. I can't identify in your images any suggestion that this object was part of a living organism. Do you see such a pattern or symmetry?

You may learn more about it by breaking it in two.
I can't find any "pattern or symmetry" on this thing, Harry. The shape and texture of it just reminded us of a sponge or what we would think a fossilized sponge would look like.
What is the best way to break something like this open? Hammer and chisel? Its very brittle.
Thanks Harry!

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try googling igneous rocks, such as scoria. see if it floats or sinks in water, which should help you narrow it down.
Tigger

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tigger said:
try googling igneous rocks, such as scoria. see if it floats or sinks in water, which should help you narrow it down.
Tigger
Okay, thanks Tigger. :icon_thumright:

Solius Symbiosus

Aug 4, 2009
Are there igneous rocks in Ok??? Well, after a perfunctory search, it appears that the igneous, and meta-igneous rocks in that part of the country are Pre-Cambrian. As such, they would be well indurated and without the pore space that this rock exhibits. Really, too me, it "looks" like a porous flow stone??? But, I would like to see it under magnification, and "in hand".

But yes, sponges do fossilize, and as Harry mentioned, the spicules/structure can be seen with a little mag.

This is a late Mid-Ordovician chaetid sponge, and a close up, that I pulled from some local rocks.
width of photo about 10cm

Solenopora by solius symbiosus, on Flickr

Solenopra x50 by solius symbiosus, on Flickr

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks like it could have also been part of an ant bed...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread