What's new

Spooky Find

Fenway

Full Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2012
Messages
129
Reaction score
183
Golden Thread
0
Location
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hit the beach this morning for the minus tide. Towards the end of my hunt I found a little brass tag from a local crematorium. I brought it way out beyond the minus tide mark, said a little prayer, and buried it in the sand so hopefully it doesn't turn up again.

Just out of curiosity, has this happened to anyone else? If so, what is the protocol? I think i did the right thing.
 
Upvote 0
I think you did the right thing. Someone probably spread the ashes of a loved one on the beach and accidentally dropped the tag.
 
Whatever the reason that it got there, you did right
by saying a prayer and reburying it in the sand. :icon_thumleft:
Gold Nuggets :hello:
 
Happens about 10 times a year for me. I ussally throw it like a frisbie as far as I can out in deeper water.We see them posted on forums from time to time. Never could undestand why hunters bring them home and then try to locate the families?
BCNJ
 
You did the correct thing, Fenway.

Lorraine
 
We find a lot here. I do like BCNJ. Throw it back like a frisbie after saying a small prayer.
 
I might catch some flak for this. But it is just my opinion.

I have found only 1 here and initially it creeped me out and funny enough the day I found it, after walking out of the water onto the beach to go home a woman stopped me and asked "What's the most unusual thing you've found?". Well I have every intention of throwing that thing like a frisbee back into the water but each time I plan on going back to that spot I forget it.

I called the crematorium and told them I found it and gave them my contact info that morning thinking that somebody might want it. Never a call.

Then I realized it really isn't something connected to the deceased. It's merely an accounting tool. Like the funeral home slapping a UPC sticker on the bottom of your foot so they don't put you in the wrong viewing room.

It is still creepy though. We all have our limits. I won't try on a ring find that has an inscription. I figure that is bad mojo. Dude lost it for a reason and I want no part of that.
 
I've found two so far. I do the same as Les and BCNJ.
 
Fenway I've found alot of those over the years, Frank found an ern one time with the animal remains still in it, ask him about it I think he still has it.
This morning I took all of my crematorium tags, put them on small chain and left them in your mailbox for good luck.Happy hunting leprechaun.:icon_thumleft:
 
:BangHead:That explains it! That's why I have been getting skunked.
 
Deep six if I ever found one.........I thought Spooky was back!!!! :laughing7:
 
Found my first this weekend. Frisbeed it out to sea where it was intended to be.

Aaron
 
Found one in the NY Adirondack's - one of the popular beaches.
I was told that it is similiar to a military dog tag. It is in with the ashes to identify the person that the ashes belong to.
Not knowing that at the time, I took it home with me.
Not sure what to do with it.
Probably if I get back that way I will throw it back in the water. For now, no harm no foul. There's no sense in tripping an alarm.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom