What's new

Sporting button dating help requested

Almy

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
1,996
Reaction score
3,948
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
This button was found at a site dated to about 1800. It has been occupied continuously since. I found only a few artifacts there probably because much of the site has been over-filled with gravel. But I did find an early 1800s coin and this button. The button is 3-piece, with a front and back crimped together with a rim. There is no gilt left on the front but there is quite a bit on the back. The embossed letters on the back read "SPORTING DESIGNS" with "SEPT. 1" between the "Sporting" and "Designs." This is the only such button I have found. Somewhat similar ones I have found on the web are "NEW SPORTING DESIGNS" dated 1844. I am not sure where that date originated and the button I found is not "NEW."
 

Attachments

  • Sporting button front.webp
    Sporting button front.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 269
  • Sporting button back.webp
    Sporting button back.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 255
I think it's an independent button company that sell buttons for sport coat, blazers and hunting wear. It's an old company that is still in business. Tony
 
Upvote 0
The description in the listing below seems to match yours, differing from most online in that it doesn't include "New" and does include a Sept 1 date, but this time 1843. I guess the New ones came out the next year :tongue3:
Now if only the picture of the back came through (it doesn't on my iPad anyway).
Old 1843 Metal Sporting DOG Picture Sewing BUTTON NR | #45305745
 
Upvote 0
The description in the listing below seems to match yours, differing from most online in that it doesn't include "New" and does include a Sept 1 date, but this time 1843. I guess the New ones came out the next year :tongue3:
Now if only the picture of the back came through (it doesn't on my iPad anyway).
Old 1843 Metal Sporting DOG Picture Sewing BUTTON NR | #45305745

This could well be a match. My post does show the back, so maybe when you get to a computer you can see it. I wondered about the Sept. 1 and thought it might be key to IDing. On mine, there is no 1843 after the Sept. 1 and it does not look like there is room for it. But it definitely is the closest match I have seen. Thank you for researching this. And another similarity is the lines in the background of the dog relief. Interestingly, 1843 is the date of the one coin I found on the site.
 
Upvote 0
This could well be a match. My post does show the back, so maybe when you get to a computer you can see it.
Yes, sorry, I meant the picture of the back in the listing. Your pictures are both good and show a nice amount of the detail.
 
Upvote 0
I misinterpreted your reply. Yes, seeing the back would have been helpful.
On mine, the loop was iron and is rusted off. The button does look old but 1843 is a long time ago. If it were made around 1843, of course, it would not have likely been lost immediately. Maybe these buttons were dated 1843 for some time after that date. I'm just speculating and wondering. Probably insolvable. But I'm surprised there are not more examples available. It's a pretty button and I would think they would be of interest to people.
 
Upvote 0
The backmark on your button reminded me of a Sporting Button I found in 2019. :icon_scratch:
The only difference is the backmark on the example I found is 1844.

Even missing the loop, the button you found is a beauty.
Dave
 

Attachments

  • 20190623_164229.webp
    20190623_164229.webp
    425.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190623_163948.webp
    20190623_163948.webp
    400.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190623_165309.webp
    20190623_165309.webp
    472.1 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0
Looks like what we call a Hunts Button, you guys call sports.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom