ScribbleMuse

Jul 12, 2012
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unk - Front Yard - 9 Aug 2012.jpg

Thus far I'm not having much luck (just got my detector for my bday on Aug 4th). I've been doing slow searches of our yard since the night I brought it home, and other than coins from my own pockets dropped in the driveway, I've found a huge old house grate that was apparently used for a backyard bbq/firepit with Blatz beer cans around it, zillions of can top thingees, and one dime buried about 6 inches with the head side worn off but the back side like modern dimes. This thing came out about a foot deep and about 10 feet from the avenue street.

Hubby suggested it looks like a motorcycle sprocket but when I did a quick google image search, it doesn't SEEM much like the ones pictured, but I don't know diddly bout motorcycles. Just thought I'd post a quick pic and see if anyone knew offhand.

PS: I DID find an old huge axhead and a nail-type thing yesterday in a local creek. Woo. Trying to soak the head in vinegar as suggested here and will post a pic later.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hubby was close. Try bicycle sprocket, such as on a ten speed front (at the peddles) outer sprocket.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXlll
just keep at it and learn every sound that detector makes! get a feel for it like its part of you and you will start finding the GOOD stuff!!!! my specialty right now is Barber dimes LOL! just keep at it and don't lose hope HH :D QUICKSILVER

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a chain ring from a bike, the teeth are WAY too big. I'm not sure what it's from, but whatever it was had a pretty big chain.

Attachments

• chain ring.jpg
    chain ring.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 369
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ScribbleMuse

ScribbleMuse

Jul 12, 2012
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I totally agree that it seems to be a bike sprocket. I know that this house has been here for quite a while, so something is bound to show up eventually that is a little more exciting... lol

I'm digging up everything to try to learn the process, but I am completely and totally focused now on how much I need a pinpointer. I'm getting to where it takes me less than an acre dig for a can tab, but it's still annoying to put so much effort into digging up such stuff. I'm more frustrated with that aspect I think; the fact that it's trash rather than treasure so far isn't too disheartening since it's still fun in terms of the excitement till you see what it is for sure. But I seem to have an inability to really pinpoint well with the concentric coil.

On to the next screw/tab/whatever pops up next. :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ScribbleMuse

ScribbleMuse

Jul 12, 2012
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a chain ring from a bike, the teeth are WAY too big. I'm not sure what it's from, but whatever it was had a pretty big chain.

Oh, yeah, I didn't think about the proportions.

In this particular lot, a house has been here since at least 1938 (WI has aerial photos available for the state and I checked out my house right away and see the roof). However, the majority of this village area was parts of a huge lumber company operation (R. Connor Company) and anything not related to that seemed to be farm centered. It could be a part to any number of machines therefore, probably quite common in the area since the village was settled in the late 1800s.

I'm hoping to find one of the lumber CAMPS that were around the area, and find it on private land that I can get permission to search since our DNR are such twats over the MD issues. The camps are where I'd assume I'd find some interesting items.

Upvote 0

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not taken one apart for years, but that reminds me of the inside sprocket ring from a reel type hand push mower.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a sprocket. It's from a horse drawn planter or fertilizer. Used the old square flat link chain. Tony

Upvote 0

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mick 56 is right its a skip tooth sprocket you dont see them often but they still use them even today.

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said you found a dime about 6" down, Was it shiny when you dug it up, That deep it may be silver.............HH:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread