What's new

Square end knife ?

painterx7

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2013
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
2,579
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one over the winter it is a really nice piece to me just curious everyone's thoughts thanks ;)
 

Attachments

  • image-4294330731.webp
    image-4294330731.webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 177
  • image-1507799118.webp
    image-1507799118.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 145
  • image-2071864224.webp
    image-2071864224.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 149
  • image-3881800920.webp
    image-3881800920.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 128
  • image-1535890178.webp
    image-1535890178.webp
    41.6 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0
That sure is a cool piece! :icon_thumleft: Really like the workmanship on it.
 
could have been a knife or scrapper. could also be a "blank". a preform made for transportation or trading so it could be worked into something smaller later.
 
I'd have to go with a knife....but it could be a scraper.I don't find scrapers like that here.They are usually round here I believe...mjm
 
Good morning everyone and thanks for your input !!!! I think usually a scraper tends to b flat on one side but I'm far from a pro maybe someone else will chime in ..
 
Multi -purpose tool. Nice one too!

knife /scraper
 
That is a very nice find. Thanks for sharing.
 
Nice square knife now on the flaking what period do you think? I will tell you what I see on it. I see some long flake removal sections and then some scattered sections. So I would say Early to Late Archaic on it but most likely Early. Sure is a nice one
 
Early 5-way tool. very nice one, too.
will have to post some that I have found
 
I'm sure some will say it's too thin but I think it's an adze. Check for use wear on the bit end. In one of the photo's it looks to have quite a bit, but that might just be the lighting.
 
I'm sure some will say it's too thin but I think it's an adze. Check for use wear on the bit end. In one of the photo's it looks to have quite a bit, but that might just be the lighting.



You might be right.. After taking a second look at the fourth pic, it looks kinda thick for a knife. I think I see the bit as well.
 
If you are adding adze to the guesses you should consider more bit pics
 
Thanks friends I will get some better lighted pictures one moment gents ;)
 
Here hope these help the second to last picture a thinned spot for hafting ?
 

Attachments

  • image-1563152722.webp
    image-1563152722.webp
    39.7 KB · Views: 82
  • image-1947991112.webp
    image-1947991112.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3420107805.webp
    image-3420107805.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image-1005850080.webp
    image-1005850080.webp
    42.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image-641526935.webp
    image-641526935.webp
    40.4 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3370602378.webp
    image-3370602378.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 82
Those pics helped a lot.I would now lean towards an adze.Most of my adzes are a lot thicker though.Both my Illinois adzes and Maine hard stone adzes...mjm
 
Its a nice looking square knife thats for sure.
 
Thanks for all your opinions square knife , multitool, or adze whatever it may be it's a nice one haha
 
It is very nice and a lot easier to tell while in hand.I've got numerous pieces from Illinois that I don't know if they are adzes ,preforms or scrapers but they all show a lot of nice flaking.The hard stone adzes around here are a lot easier to identify and show up often and in many shapes and sizes...mjm
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom