NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Maybe it's the first time they've found a square nail and think they are a fantastic find. I pitch mine too.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a lot of those up here. Some of them are still in the buildings, though. I keep a few from time to time. Mainly to me, they're an indicator of the age of the site I'm searching. Course, they are a relic and a piece of history, so if somebody finds them I'm happy for them.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Square nails were used in the eighteen hundreds and miners also used them to mark their claim by nailing then in a tree in a particular pattern.

So many nails in a set design pattern and registered with the local authorities in charge of that mining district at the time.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If people are saving the relics and other finds from a site, and keeping them together with notes and with a view toward preserving the history of the site (which they ought to be doing), then it makes sense to keep at least a couple of the nails found from the site.

Just because square nails can still be purchased, that doesn't mean anything. It's like saying banks still have rolls of shiny new pennies. Too, you can still go buy seated dimes at a coin show; so what?

The evolution of square nail types follows a historical progression and can help date a site.

In the photo below, one of the square nails is particularly early. It would be plain foolish not to save such a one (or preferably all of them) if it were found at a site. Since most people are in this hobby for the history (...), the lack of monetary value of square nails is not an issue, I presume.

squarenails.jpg

I believe the lack of rust on dug examples of the earliest nails is a function of the high quality iron ore used, as well as the laborious forging techniques which tended to purge impurities. The somewhat later nails are invariably caked with rust, and badly.

I do not save the badly-rusted examples of later 19th Century nails unless these are the earliest ones at a site, and the best specimens available.

Happy hunting,
Rusted

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rusted_Iron said:
If people are saving the relics and other finds from a site, and keeping them together with notes and with a view toward preserving the history of the site (which they ought to be doing), then it makes sense to keep at least a couple of the nails found from the site.

Just because square nails can still be purchased, that doesn't mean anything. It's like saying banks still have rolls of shiny new pennies. Too, you can still go buy seated dimes at a coin show; so what?

The evolution of square nail types follows a historical progression and can help date a site.

In the photo below, one of the square nails is particularly early. It would be plain foolish not to save such a one (or preferably all of them) if it were found at a site. Since most people are in this hobby for the history (...), the lack of monetary value of square nails is not an issue, I presume.

I believe the lack of rust on dug examples of the earliest nails is a function of the high quality iron ore used, as well as the laborious forging techniques which tended to purge impurities. The somewhat later nails are invariably caked with rust, and badly.

I do not save the badly-rusted examples of later 19th Century nails unless these are the earliest ones at a site, and the best specimens available.

Happy hunting,
Rusted

Well said rusted iron. All nails are not the same. There are the common square cut nails, and then there are the more historic hand forged ones. Henry Chapman Mercer who lived at the turn of the century was the pioneer of early American rural history, and he wrote an entire volume on square nails of Pennsylvania. He removed nails from existing dateable structures going back to the 1600's and was able to identify the evolution of styles, the dates, and as well, was able to identify some nails by location. These variations can be a great tool to a detectorist when there's little remaining to date a cellar hole or other similar site. The oldest ones were often so valuable to our early settlers that remains of timbers were often burned just to salvage the existig nails from the ashes.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Square nails help to locate old homesteads out in the woods too.

S

stefen

Goes4ever said:
Just curious why I see so many posts where people who find square nails clean them photograph them and post them? What is so special about them? I find them all the time when field hunting and I just pitch them.........am I missing something? :dontknow: :dontknow:

Some people will even have an orgasm posting an undistinguished rusted relic and expect immediate identification as if you have x-ray vision...

Then there are those who really arn't impressed with much of the mystery crud we find...some may be anomolies...

The nails, many times though, are historic markers...which identify a potential site...

Although, if you happen to be hunting in tornado country, the nails you find may be a fragment of a roof that has been transported and dropped...

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
i don't keep them anymore. years ago i had a big box of them and just left them when we moved. today i like those hand made bronze nails/spikes like they find at shipwrecks.
teddy

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said rusted iron. All nails are not the same.

Thanks johnnyi.

I was hoping I didn't come across as too smarmy. I really didn't mean to do that and hope nobody took it that way. I love you all.

teddy said:
today i like those hand made bronze nails/spikes like they find at shipwrecks.
teddy

Those are great when you can find them. I think I remember finding one or two on land, as well.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't take me wrong, I was just wondering..........inquiring minds want to know =)

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Hi all
Most of the square nails I find are copper and were hand made by the local blacksmith
and are part of our social history, I like to see them coming up.
Dave.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it harkens back to the says when everything was "hand made"--those nails of old were hand made by a skilled blacksmiths -- not machine made trash like todays nails are -- skilled blacksmiths nails often have little to no rust on them --later era cut nails cut from a sheet of iron / steel are a bit differant than the early ones are.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Finding handmade nails has always been a source of pleasure for me, being a woodworker.
When I find an antique that has been trashed beyond repair ...
I have been a salvager of pieces and parts "just in case",
I have managed to save a few of these things that have a significance to me.
some of my hand forged nails never got rusted and are so small that it amazes me they were made at all. I have some bronze nails that are just over an inch long,
they were used to make a stripper type canoe that before it was dismantled was over twenty feet long. They used bronze because they wouldn't rust or deteriorate.
The source of the work is unknown, but amazing never the less.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Square nails, ca. 1860, still in use and still holdin the buildin together. Very little rust, if any, evident after 150 years.

Attachments

• squarenaila.JPG
    squarenaila.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 407
  • squarenailb.JPG
    squarenailb.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 373

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No your not missing anything. It's kind of like the guy who would rather collect coins than dig civil war memorabilia. Te each his own.. But, I must admit I'm a sucker for the nails for some reason too :) HHHH

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I'll have to admit after 40 years I keep the nice ones too. I've got buckets of stuff like that in my barn. Not really worth anything but to good to throw away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread