What's new

squash knives

larson1951

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
4,974
Reaction score
3,894
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i ran across these in a cigar box and thought i would post these images
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0199.webp
    IMG_0199.webp
    79.1 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_0200.webp
    IMG_0200.webp
    90 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0202.webp
    IMG_0202.webp
    56.3 KB · Views: 360
Upvote 0
Those are some nice squash knives :icon_thumright: they are very interesting :wink:, You know sometimes it is hard to imagine in today's society where we have metal knives, using a hand held blade made of bone from the shoulder blade of a buffalo :dontknow: those are great :headbang: :notworthy: :hello2: !!! Thanks for posting them Steve.
 
hey thanks tommy
you know, about 20 yrs ago we found a couple of these only they were just so sharp on all four sides, i mean really sharp
in addition to the sharpness they were square and as symmetrical as you could imagine and super thin
now i cannot figure out where in the daylights they ended up cuz i can't find them
they were so good that if i had to cut up a bunch of squash i actually think they would have been just as good as a steel blade, this is no lie
did you ever see how it was done?
the squash was cut into slices about one inch thick or a little less
then the 'rings' were threaded onto long sticks or poles and hung (on vertical supports) horizontally up about 5 or 6 feet off of the ground to dry
after drying they could be stored in the cache pits w/corn and beans
on another note the beans that were grown by the mandan were what we now call 'great northern beans'
sorry if i got a little long winded on this subject as it may not be that interesting
steve
larson1951
 
Steve, I know what you mean when you say you can get them sharp, Recently I got a an old elk shoulder blade that my brother had lying around from a hunting trip several yrs. ago. I made a squash knife just using a flint flake to cut the bone and a piece of sandstone to shape it and sharpen it I cut up a pretty large squash from the garden with it this yr. That is very interesting about the Great Northern beans I didn't know that.
 
tommy
glad you liked the extra bit of info
i didn't know if i was getting to far off the topic or not
steve
 
Hey, I've got a couple of those.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0118.webp
    DSC_0118.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC_0120.webp
    DSC_0120.webp
    13 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC_0121.webp
    DSC_0121.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC_0122.webp
    DSC_0122.webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC_0125.webp
    DSC_0125.webp
    56.2 KB · Views: 287
srv
that is interesting
i yike those
i wonder where in the world you got those????
 
Some really great guy traded them to me.

I think you may know him. lol
 
Hey, I have a couple of those too :o, I wonder if we know the same guy :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :icon_scratch: ?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom