What's new

Stacking

mainejman

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
1,878
Golden Thread
0
Location
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this little point yesterday...pretty good example of stacking I'd say...mjm IMAG1489.webp
 
Upvote 0
Does it even look like they tried to remove it or just worked around it?
 
Maybe there's a reason for it? Balance?
 
Yeah, pretty cool, like a micro cliff face on that one...knives didn't need to be aerodynamic...
 
uncooked rock and a bad knapper = stacked points. I know I am a member of that club!!
 
To hard to remove them stacks. I bet they are like a knot in a board.

I see. Thanks. I've recently tried knapping myself....so far I've learned that it is much harder than I thought it would be
 
Can you explain what stacking is? Thanks!
 
It's where a blow to remove a flake is insufficient to remove the unwanted part of a preform in the reduction process. After that, regardless of the amount of force applied, the next blow will travel up to that point and hinge out, and the next, and the next, until when viewed from the side, the hinge fractures sorta look stacked one on top of each other.
 
They can be removed if you approach the rock from different angles but it takes time to learn that process. I would think the Natives had better things to do, lol.
 
Interesting, Thanks!
 
Some stacks are caused by a spot in the stone like a fossil or any type of infusion of a different material. To take off a flake from the stone you strike it at a edge point and the shock wave goes across the stone making a flake fall off. To high with your strike and you get a stack, to low and the flake will be short. Jon is right you have to remove it from another angle, I always do it from the other side of the stone.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom