Stage Station and Petroglyphs

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Using this publication...
hiking.JPG I decided to look for some petroglyphs in the Picacho Mountains, west of Tucson today.

On page 29 is listed one of the bigger sites. There are more than 4000 glypghs in 19 sites in these mountains!
Here are just a few of the hundreds at this site alone.
pet 1.JPG pet 2.JPG pet 3.JPG pet 4.JPG pet 5.JPG

I burned my hand on these granite rocks that were very hot. It was 108 degrees at the site and I'm sure the rocks were MUCH more.

Added bonus.... near the glyphs is a stage station! This would be called a "swing" station ... just for changing horses. A "home" station also does overnight boarding.
stage station.JPG stage 1.JPG stage 2.JPG Sorry, NO detecting... state trust land. POOH!

This is the school mentioned on the plaque, across the road.
DSC01117.JPG DSC01118.JPG A very nice adventure today! ╦╦C

Pretty Cool or should I say Hot Place Terry? Bet there's some relics hiding there...

Pretty Cool or should I say Hot Place Terry? Bet there's some relics hiding there...
No doubt! But...... let's keep it "low profile" today. ╦╦C

Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Sweet shots my friend!:occasion14:

Sweet shots my friend!:occasion14:
Yes! When I saw this building, I halfway expected John Wayne or Clint Eastwood to come riding up. If the plaque is not legible, this is the station between Picacho and Florence AZ and points further north. It is in remarkably good condition. Here is the mesquite corral near the building.
DSC01116.JPG I suppose the buildings may have been "renovated" but there is no mention of it. Still, a very nice find. ╦╦C

Here is the Google Earth view of the Stage Station/school/corral. At (I use UTM instead of lat/lon) 12 S 459178E 3631777N. ╦╦C
Stage Station.jpg

Yes! When I saw this building, I halfway expected John Wayne or Clint Eastwood to come riding up. If the plaque is not legible, this is the station between Picacho and Florence AZ and points further north. It is in remarkably good condition. Here is the mesquite corral near the building.
View attachment 1732117 I suppose the buildings may have been "renovated" but there is no mention of it. Still, a very nice find. ╦╦C
Picacho peak was kind of a landmark I would note as to where I was in the progress of my calls traveling the area of the mines around Tucson and customers in the Phoenix area. Now I just follow my gps to keep my travel time in line with what I hope to complete in a day. Oddly I made up a little song about Picacho peak when I did a lot of visiting in that area. I do things like that when I'm just moving along for many miles down the road.

Picacho peak was kind of a landmark I would note as to where I was in the progress of my calls traveling the area of the mines around Tucson and customers in the Phoenix area. Now I just follow my gps to keep my travel time in line with what I hope to complete in a day. Oddly I made up a little song about Picacho peak when I did a lot of visiting in that area. I do things like that when I'm just moving along for many miles down the road.
I used to make up monologues of the washes/creeks I would cross. I would add a sentence about each wash and build the story from there, a sentence at a time. Before long, I could name every wash on 10 from memory. (favorite was Woman Hollering Creek in Texas) ╦╦C

Cool pics! 108 degrees! I can't even imagine! "They" always say, "but it's dry heat, not humid like here." Still sounds ridiculously hot to me!

Wet heat, dry heat... I wonder if those in Hell even give it a thought. 113 in Phoenix passing through yesterday. Most things get done around here before noon. The Mexicans had it figured out a long time ago. SIESTA during the hottest time of the day! Hasta la vista, baby!(as Arnie would say) ╦╦C

Using this publication...
View attachment 1732071 I decided to look for some petroglyphs in the Picacho Mountains, west of Tucson today.

On page 29 is listed one of the bigger sites. There are more than 4000 glypghs in 19 sites in these mountains!
Here are just a few of the hundreds at this site alone.
View attachment 1732072 View attachment 1732073 View attachment 1732074 View attachment 1732075 View attachment 1732076

I burned my hand on these granite rocks that were very hot. It was 108 degrees at the site and I'm sure the rocks were MUCH more.

Added bonus.... near the glyphs is a stage station! This would be called a "swing" station ... just for changing horses. A "home" station also does overnight boarding.
View attachment 1732083 View attachment 1732086 View attachment 1732087 Sorry, NO detecting... state trust land. POOH!

This is the school mentioned on the plaque, across the road.
View attachment 1732089 View attachment 1732090 A very nice adventure today! ╦╦C

Hi Terry,

Those look like what you showed us back in March.
Very cool!

Tom

Hi Terry,

Those look like what you showed us back in March.
Very cool!

Tom
Yes, Tom. This is another place where your wheelchair is NOT a problem! In fact, ALL of the glyphs pictured can actually be seen from the CAR! The rocks can also be climbed to see many more. Good to hear from you, my friend! Terry

Thanks again, Terry. Those glyphs are very interesting.

Be well,

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back