Stamp values

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
I found boxes full of old letters ranging in date from the mid 1910's - 1960's... lots of used/cancelled stamps and some unused/noncancelled. I'm wondering about their values and if they're worth more affixed to the envelopes with the cancellation date. I'm posting some pics of a few samples(i apologize for the image quality...it is the best i can do with this cam) I just need a basic idea on some of the values. If anyone can help or point me in the right direction for help , i'd appreciate it . There are dozens of varieties and hundreds of stamps

Attachments

• DSC00047.JPG
    DSC00047.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 565
  • DSC00048.JPG
    DSC00048.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 565
  • DSC00049.JPG
    DSC00049.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 538
  • DSC00050.JPG
    DSC00050.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 534
  • DSC00051.JPG
    DSC00051.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 551
  • DSC00052.JPG
    DSC00052.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 533
  • DSC00053.JPG
    DSC00053.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 525
  • DSC00055.JPG
    DSC00055.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 529
  • DSC00056.JPG
    DSC00056.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 527
  • DSC00057.JPG
    DSC00057.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 525
  • DSC00058.JPG
    DSC00058.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 517

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like commons...if ones on envelopes are FDC's(first day covers/first day of issue)they are worth a few bucks each,but some command as high as $1000.00+,if a stamp is on an envelope leave it there,if you try&remove you will ruin value.get clearer pics of stamps on envelope(cover)w/cancel,then others can(me)see if they are FDC's...is the 2 1/2 c. stamp on an envelope? at your local library they will have a SCOTT'S stamp value book,little confusing for a novice but will educate you&give you a better idea of what you have...keep us posted!!! :icon_study:, :thumbsup:...
HH ALL!!!

OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
The 2 1/2 cent stamp is a Propriatary Internal Revenue Stamp with "Richard Hudnut January 1946 " overprint on it. It is not on an envelope.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Scott's Specialized Catalog, older stamps are listed with a date of first known useage. If you have one that predates their listing, you have BIG money. Also, listed are premiums for different color cancellations. If your stamps don't fall into either of these 2 categories, it would probably be ok to soak them off the covers.
Scott

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
Daddytopcat said:
In Scott's Specialized Catalog, older stamps are listed with a date of first known useage. If you have one that predates their listing, you have BIG money. Also, listed are premiums for different color cancellations. If your stamps don't fall into either of these 2 categories, it would probably be ok to soak them off the covers.
Scott

I wouldn't say big bucks the way the stamp markets going.! Colors & EKU's must be sent for cert to verify they are genuine.. There is no premium for colors or EKU's without certification.. Expertizing costs $$ that may or may not earn a return profit for the owner.. With that said, without cert, it would be hard to convince anyone of the authenticity of a particular piece and this is definetly not something a begginer could verify... FWIW, the authorities often argue over these matters.. However,I would have to be 98% sure I had something different to certify before sending any stamp to PF or PSE..! The only way to be certain of this is to study, study study.. :icon_study: FWIW, used stamps are worth more if left on cover.! The only reason to remove a stamp from the cover would be to verify a water mark that could seperate a commen stamp from a rarity..

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Eagle said:
Daddytopcat said:
Scott

I wouldn't say big bucks the way the stamp markets going.! Colors & EKU's must be sent for cert to verify they are genuine.. There is no premium for colors or EKU's without certification.. Expertizing costs $$ that may or may not earn a return profit for the owner.. With that said, without cert, it would be hard to convince anyone of the authenticity of a particular piece and this is definetly not something a begginer could verify... FWIW, the authorities often argue over these matters.. However,I would have to be 98% sure I had something different to certify before sending any stamp to PF or PSE..! The only way to be certain of this is to study, study study.. :icon_study: FWIW, used stamps are worth more if left on cover.! The only reason to remove a stamp from the cover would be to verify a water mark that could seperate a commen stamp from a rarity..

I agree. Different watermarks, "grills", etc. Also, if left on cover, they can be desireable to collectors due to the amount of information on the cover.
Scott

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
i want em. i love stamps on cover, especially when it is just mail and not first day covers, those get old to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread