steelheadwill
Gold Member
- Joined
- Jan 2, 2010
- Messages
- 6,690
- Reaction score
- 716
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- New Castle NH.
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Brain eyes ears and nose
- Primary Interest:
- Other
Here you go, all that is visible is iron crust...duggap said:How about posting us a pic of the back.
Thanks Duggap, I appreciate your replyduggap said:I agree you have a rosette, but I think it may be post CW. I say that because of the iron back. I have a US with the iron back and everyone says it post war. Usually we attribute the star to texas but I couldn't find your exact one in any of my reference books. Still a very nice find me thinks.



Thanks for looking into thisduggap said:I don't have a camera or do I know how to post pics, but in Couch's book, if you have one or can borrow one, on page 133 he shows a usa rosette with what looks like a high dome. And remember I could be wrong about yours being post war. Charlie Harris, in his book, has an example of the high dome rosette. I would like to know the real age of it. Any way you go though, it is still a very worth while find and I am sure you will keep it, I would. Regards.


Thanks BosnMate,BosnMate said:To me, the photo of the rosette in the hand makes it look way too large for it to be for a bridle. So I'm going to add to the mix. There were, even during WWII, wood plugs or covers for gun muzzles that were called "tomkins?" Something like that. The ones I've seen photos all had stars on them. Do you suppose this could be a star off of one of those?
I really appreciate the info and great pix!BosnMate said:I remembered wrong, the muzzle cover isn't a "tomkin," the proper spelling is "tompion." I've seen a photo somewhere of a Civil War artillery piece with a tompion on the muzzle, but for the life of me, I can't find it in any book I own, or on the internet. I did however, google "USS Missouri," and out of a huge bunch of photos there are a few showing muzzle covers on the 16 inch guns. One photo shows large painted stars on the covers. The other shows the brass stars, but the photo is so small you really have to look hard. I enlarged the photo, but it goes to pot when that's done. I also found out that the tompions for the shoulder arms were wood plugs, but for the artillery they were more of a leather boot. I'll include the photo of the Missouri for what it's worth.


