wstgo
Full Member
- Joined
- May 3, 2011
- Messages
- 157
- Reaction score
- 14
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Canastota, New York
- Detector(s) used
- Whites Eagle Spectrum
That would make a good one!Timekiller said:Looks alot like a WHIRLIGIG or BUZZER.Which were made to be childs toys.They were made from many useless items like old wore out coins & such.Just a thought as it come to me looking at your find.And might explain why the two small holes seem wore out looking.
Take Care,
Pete,![]()
http://www.historylives.com/toysandgames.htm
I dont know what it was originally made for but I believe Timekiller is correct in that it was made into a childs buzzer toy. It appears to be machine stamped but the 2 holes are worn, crudely punched and unevenly spaced..aka said:I don't think a buzzer would have the square shaft hole as this does. Also, those rings might be worn into it.
Yes I kinda threw it out there.And the square hole does cause a problem for me as well.It really looks like some kinda Idler gear and could just be.aka said:I don't think a buzzer would have the square shaft hole as this does. Also, those rings might be worn into it.
But trying to figure out what it came off of will be a trick I would think.So many things with small gears.Who knows though it could have served as both too.Gear & Toy once broken.
Heres one I'm purdy sure was a toy just posted today & got me thinking that way.
It does appear the holes were punched later by the owner not the factory.Yea they look funny to me too BCH.But could be just how it worked itself over time.People made fun at the begining that it was another egg counter & it could reach that that level trying to place what it came off of.bigcypresshunter said:The screw holes may also have been made later to fasten it securely.It does appear the holes were punched later by the owner not the factory.
Being a gear I think if one wanted they could go on & on with things it could go on you know.If it does I pulling out.

witgar said:Looks like a grinding wheel to me:
http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=...ge=2&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:27,s:27&tx=76&ty=46
While saying this, another idea pops up in my mind:
http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=...ge=1&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&tx=128&ty=100 ,
A wheel from a brushcutter, but it's probably to small for that? And that gives no answer for the square hole...
It's funny you brought it up though.Cause The other day when I first looked at it I thought about a Pepper Mill Grinder as I had one one time that I swear had a gear in it much like that.And the square hole would work as well.You can look up pepper grinder parts & see what I mean.But I just can't find one like it.witgar said:witgar said:Looks like a grinding wheel to me:
http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=...ge=2&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:27,s:27&tx=76&ty=46
While saying this, another idea pops up in my mind:
http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=...ge=1&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&tx=128&ty=100 ,
A wheel from a brushcutter, but it's probably to small for that? And that gives no answer for the square hole...
naaah never mind i'm totally wrong

The item is copper so it cant be any of those things. I would be thinking much older as well.witgar said:witgar said:Looks like a grinding wheel to me:
http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=...ge=2&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:27,s:27&tx=76&ty=46
While saying this, another idea pops up in my mind:
http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=...ge=1&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&tx=128&ty=100 ,
A wheel from a brushcutter, but it's probably to small for that? And that gives no answer for the square hole...
naaah never mind i'm totally wrong