Starting to thin out my collection

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently decided to start selling off some of my collection. My grandsons have no interest in it at all so I may as well control how it is sold. I recently sold these, all are Florida items except 1 or 2. Not the best but some nice color & some are over 4 inches. Pics aren't the best I was too lazy to remove them from the frames.
20221205_190934.jpg
20221205_190955.jpg
20221205_190943.jpg
20221205_190950.jpg

Upvote 25

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't blame you for controlling how it's sold. My son has no interest either. He went on one hunt with me about 7 years ago and actually found a nice 3 1/4 Pickwick; I thought that would spark a interest but no. He didn't even keep up with that point; I guess he lost it some how. Those are some nice ones; good pictures too.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know people have different interests but it still is unfathomable how you could see those and pass. I don’t have a big collection but it’s growing, I’ve wondered when the time comes if I could find a way to keep them in the family until someone has an interest… something like will them to someone who would at least keep them in a box in the attic until a great grandkid or someone who treasure them comes along…..

I know you’re selling but what’s the story with this one, seems out of place my first impression was a plains Cody complex of some sort, maybe an Allen.
3CAD3158-95F4-40A1-A37E-F37CA4406483.jpeg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking at those frames and thinking of the collection one must actually have to let them go.
I guess there comes a time when these decisions have to be made.
Bitterly sweet either way.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking at those frames and thinking of the collection one must actually have to let them go.
I guess there comes a time when these decisions have to be made.
Bitterly sweet either way.
I like my stuff & am keeping my high end artifacts for awhile.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know people have different interests but it still is unfathomable how you could see those and pass. I don’t have a big collection but it’s growing, I’ve wondered when the time comes if I could find a way to keep them in the family until someone has an interest… something like will them to someone who would at least keep them in a box in the attic until a great grandkid or someone who treasure them comes along…..

I know you’re selling but what’s the story with this one, seems out of place my first impression was a plains Cody complex of some sort, maybe an Allen.
View attachment 2062329
I posted this back in September. I have a friend who digs Dino fossils in Wyoming. He found it this summer & gave it to me. I kept it & put a Florida point in its place since what the buyer wanted was Florida stuff.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
A decision many of will face.

My grandfather collected coins, and when he died I inherited about 800 lbs of coins that I really had no interest in. I moved them several times over the last 20 years because he enjoyed them so much. I finally got around to organizing them, and decided to keep the silver dollars and gold coins, sell the rest and put the money back into some coins that completed gaps.

They now fit in a binder in my safe, and are cool to look at, I think they will get passed down easily in the family and won't be a burden to anyone. And if some day someone needed to sell them, it would be a lot easier.

That's kind of the way I look at my collection now. A couple of really nice frames with some history on the back will likely be enjoyed or hung in a den for years to come. 10,000+ common field finds, scrapers, tools, etc. will be a burden.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A decision many of will face.

My grandfather collected coins, and when he died I inherited about 800 lbs of coins that I really had no interest in. I moved them several times over the last 20 years because he enjoyed them so much. I finally got around to organizing them, and decided to keep the silver dollars and gold coins, sell the rest and put the money back into some coins that completed gaps.

They now fit in a binder in my safe, and are cool to look at, I think they will get passed down easily in the family and won't be a burden to anyone. And if some day someone needed to sell them, it would be a lot easier.

That's kind of the way I look at my collection now. A couple of really nice frames with some history on the back will likely be enjoyed or hung in a den for years to come. 10,000+ common field finds, scrapers, tools, etc. will be a burden.
Very smart!

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this back in September. I have a friend who digs Dino fossils in Wyoming. He found it this summer & gave it to me. I kept it & put a Florida point in its place since what the buyer wanted was Florida stuff.
Now you say that I think I remember the post

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
south shore massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently decided to start selling off some of my collection. My grandsons have no interest in it at all so I may as well control how it is sold. I recently sold these, all are Florida items except 1 or 2. Not the best but some nice color & some are over 4 inches. Pics aren't the best I was too lazy to remove them from the frames.
View attachment 2062187 View attachment 2062188 View attachment 2062189 View attachment 2062190
Sir, are any of these still available?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always had a superstitious notion or feelings that selling what I've found wouldn't be right. I have given or traded some pieces to such a person or young child that demonstrates a ture interest to understanding those who made and left these artifacts behind. To me I get a feeling that when I do find something it was in away a gift to me.

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics!
I've been actively selling off stuff for the past few years, albeit slow. My problem is I still collect, and yes, still buy if I like something. Two years later as far as numbers go I'm less than where I was, but not by much. Sold a few hundred odds and ends, but probably picked up a 75 more. I like to look at it as "culling the bycatch". The problem is that Texas has some real pretty forms and cherts, and I can't stop from looking and going on digs.

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This thread just points up - again - how important it is to try to involve younger folks in this hobby of ours. Beginning level collectors would likely be in the market for field grade artifacts at very reasonable prices. Seller gets the satisfaction of passing on artifacts to a new generation; Buyer starts off with some great artifacts.

Boy Scouts / Girl Scouts / 4H Clubs / school science clubs: Put down those video games!

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've always had a superstitious notion or feelings that selling what I've found wouldn't be right. I have given or traded some pieces to such a person or young child that demonstrates a ture interest to understanding those who made and left these artifacts behind. To me I get a feeling that when I do find something it was in away a gift to me.
I have points I'll never part with & guess I will try to get them somewhere they'll be appreciated once I'm gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread