State of Fla Treasure Laws

fl_aurum

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2008
New to the forum, but really enjoy reading all the knowledgeable posts. I plan to visit the Treasure Coast this Spring to do some beach MDing. What are the laws and regulations regarding treasure hunting on land and in state waters. From what I can gleam from previous posts it appears that the state enacted some restrictions after Mel Fisher's Atocha find - is this correct?

cobhunter

Greenie
Dec 14, 2008
Somewhat confused?

Great link and posts with it. But somewhat confusing: Are all beaches (exception of parks both state and federal) open to the public despite landowners posting signs otherwise? Also, what does one do if one finds a relic older than 50 years old (say a silver cob) while MDing in the surf or wet/dry sand? Turn it in to the State or just report it?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
find a cob water line to dune foot on the "public" beach its yours --put it in your pocket and have a nice day --say zip to anyone "offical" unless you like "problem's and issues" and loss of item.--- federal lands and federal parks are no go zones as are certain historical areas --- some jerk beach front property owners try to "claim" the beach as "theirs" and try to run folks off or try to post "no tresspass signs" on their land hoping to fool folks who don't know the law to stay off of "their beach" -- they think just because they paid a bundle of cash that they "own" the beach -- its mine all mine they say --you poor peon's stay away.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
cobhunter said:
what if one is waist deep and finds a Spanish cob? Pocket it, too?

If you are waist deep in the lease areas, then you are illegal. All finds must be found on the beach. I doubt you would find a cob in the non-lease areas, but if you did, I suppose it would be fine. Call me if you do, though :wink: Technically, all finds over 50 years old are supposed to be reported. But I doubt the State of Florida wants every bottle, spike, timber and piece of trash found. The spirit of the law is to report significant and substantial finds.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
mad for wrecks is right the law is meant for major finds of large amounts of valuible items that the state wants to get their mitts on. --- small single cob coin finds YAWN bore the state and would clog up the system with red tape (hell under the 50 year rule all wheat pennies ( last made in 1958) would "legally" be artifacts, and all 90 % silver coins --last made in 1964 in a mere 5 years will also be "artifacts") --- freshly minted coins money a 55 year old man buried as a 5 year old kid could be not legally recovered by the "law" of 50 year items :tard:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
around lease areas its best to stick to beach detecting -- you do not want to be busted for encroaching upon lease waters -- its not a joking matter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread