What's new

State Seal?

jhamner

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
646
Reaction score
729
Golden Thread
0
I bought a bag of six of these buttons in an antique shop today. I was just sure they represented some state seal, but after some research, I don't believe that's the case. Anyone know what they represent and an approximate age? Thanks!!!
 

Attachments

  • P1010065.webp
    P1010065.webp
    56.9 KB · Views: 203
  • P1010064.webp
    P1010064.webp
    52 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 8
Having a hard time with this one. Almost looks like a Maryland State Seal button.
 
Having a hard time with this one. Almost looks like a Maryland State Seal button.

I was thinking the same thing, but the shield in the middle is different I think. Thanks so much for your reply!
 
I'm TOTALLY bug-eyed!! Found the Maryland buttons, but also the old New York City/State buttons that are also similar - but no matches. DOZENS of search pages.....nothing!

It might help to know what state you bought these in. ...Maybe that would make no difference. :dontknow:
 
I'm TOTALLY bug-eyed!! Found the Maryland buttons, but also the old New York City/State buttons that are also similar - but no matches. DOZENS of search pages.....nothing!

It might help to know what state you bought these in. ...Maybe that would make no difference. :dontknow:


Thanks SO MUCH for all your hard work! The buttons were purchased in Central Virginia.
 
P.S.There is a similar thread on the official White's Forum under "What's New>Button I.D. archive" for which I would like to extend them full credit, as it may help solve the puzzle.


(Google "button with two men, crossed swords, rising sun.)
 
Last edited:
I think this is a "Sons of Veterans, New York Staff" Like what is listed in Alberts VN 23.
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    443 KB · Views: 163
'Tis a perfect match! :headbang:
 
I think this is a "Sons of Veterans, New York Staff" Like what is listed in Alberts VN 23.

I think you're EXACTLY right! And to think I looked through Albert's book cover to cover last night! Guess I just missed it! Thanks a million for solving the mystery!!!!
 
I feel really sure i've seen this before. I think it might be a Civil War button.
 
Very nice button find! :occasion14:
 
I've run out of time, but want to thank each and every one of you who responded. All your responses were very helpful and I really appreciate them!
 
Run out of time?? Didn't know this was a "timed event". :dontknow:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom