IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0906191107.jpg 0906191107a.jpg 0906191108.jpg 0913191210.jpg 0906191031.jpg Went on a 6 hour, 4mile hunt, only found one point, but I was ecstatic! I don't find a lot of obsidian! The other pic was just a piece of debtiage but cool material. If any one can tell me a type I would appreciate it! Thanks for looking!

Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That point has been resharpened so many times that it's approaching exhaustion. The convex base looks blocked (flat bottom) on a straight stem. I'll bet it was much different when first made. A nice little point (dart at one time?) but I can't even guess a type. Congrats.

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I am not sure about the type. For a long time people (archaeologists & collectors) generally just clumped little stemmed points into the middle Archaic or later without much of a second thought.

Given some of the discoveries in Idaho with the age of some Western Stemmed Tradition point I think more people are going to be curious about them. Down in the Great Basin there are a couple of short stubby points that are early Archaic (Borax Lake) or Paleo (Silver Lake, Lake Mojave, & Dugway Stubby types.)

if you have a few minutes and want to scroll though some pictures here is a decent link:

https://uofupress.lib.utah.edu/wp-c...r-5-SDM-Additional-Lithic-Artifact-Images.pdf

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Lord send some of that cold to Georgia it was another day approaching 100 degrees. Nice finds

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
six hours and one point?... that sounds about right. I the old days surface finds were a dime a dozen.

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice dark piece! Almost looks like the Smoky quartz you find up there! I find grey and speckled obsidian down here, sometimes that nice dark stuff. Nice point!

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find looks like the small stemmed points I find . Here's one from N. California

Attachments

• P2143237.JPG
    P2143237.JPG
    895.9 KB · Views: 56

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are so freakin cool I've never found even one looking for many years. Great find

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are so freakin cool I've never found even one looking for many years. Great find

Have you tried targeting locations near water sources via google earth?

I sent you a private in-mail with an attached link to an area in your region that I would investigate for evidence if I was near you. No guarantees, but it’s a good strategy.

It’s just one way of putting yourself on a site that may have favorable odds and conditions for finding artifacts.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried targeting locations near water sources via google earth?

I sent you a private in-mail with an attached link to an area in your region that I would investigate for evidence if I was near you. No guarantees, but it’s a good strategy.

It’s just one way of putting yourself on a site that may have favorable odds and conditions for finding artifacts.
Thanks Ill check it out

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
six hours and one point?... that sounds about right. I the old days surface finds were a dime a dozen.

My dad found a lot on the farm when we plowed every year. Of course with no till that went away. Many years went by and nothing. Then one day I found a point while clearing rocks form the field. Dad was excited it had been soooo long. I set it on the tractor and finished what I was doing. It vibrated off and we never found it again. He was so mad at me. I still remember it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread