What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Sterling medallion id?

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
1,930
Reaction score
811
Golden Thread
0
Location
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help in identifying this medallion bought at a garage sale. It is 1.800 in diameter and .075 thick. It is stamped .925. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20230106_023424643_BURST000_COVER.webp
    IMG_20230106_023424643_BURST000_COVER.webp
    472.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20230106_023539976_BURST001.webp
    IMG_20230106_023539976_BURST001.webp
    489.2 KB · Views: 162
Pretty sure that is St. Nicholas.
 
Upvote 0
ARC nailed it the pictures match up.
 
Upvote 2
It has been over 60 years since I took religious courses in school. If my memory still serves me correctly, I'd say the staff being held in the left hand is called a crozier; and this is only held -- not by popes--but by bishops of the Roman Catholic, Anglican and European Lutheran faiths.
Doing some research, I found this: "Bishops of the Eastern churches carry the baktēria (dikanikion), a pastoral staff with either a tau cross or two serpents facing each other on top" (like the OP's). And since the Russian and Ukrainian languages are so closely related, I guess the image as showing a bishop from either Russia or the Ukraine.
Don.......
 
Upvote 3
Thank you all👍
 
  • Like
Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom