❎ SOLD Sterling silver cache box I found SOLD

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
This is one of my finds last year that was over 12 inches deep and full of coins. The sterling silver box was wrapped in 2 wonderbread bread wrappers and completely covered in candle wax. The box only weighs in at 409 grams, 13.5033 troy ounces. Coins are not included with the box. The inside of the box is lined with teak wood. This box was shown on the 2010 Western and Eastern Treasure annual finds magazine on the cover and on the inside along with my other finds. Silver today @$30.47. PM me with offer.

Attachments

• #32 - STERLING CACHE BOX.JPG
    #32 - STERLING CACHE BOX.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 1,218
  • #33 - STERLING CACHE BOX WITH COINS INSIDE.JPG
    #33 - STERLING CACHE BOX WITH COINS INSIDE.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,027
Last edited by a moderator:

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
Re: Sterling silver cache box I found

Sterling silver is not sold by the ounce. It is an alloy of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% other metals. The value of something made with sterling silver is dependent upon what the object is.

OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer

detectoraddict said:
Sterling silver is not sold by the ounce. It is an alloy of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% other metals. The value of something made with sterling silver is dependent upon what the object is.
I am well aware of the purity content of sterling consists of, but I have a question for you, let's say it's a set of sterling silverware compared to a single piece of silverware, you in fact have to weigh it to determine the value of silver content. By what you are stating the weight isn't a factor but it is. There are many sterling calculators out on the net to determine the melt down value of sterling. Melt down price is what it says melt down price. That's pretty much what I'm looking to get but below spot..

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Just a note, that 409 grams troy= 13.15 troy ozs, not 13.5. Also, did you weight it with the wood in it?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sterling is around $0.78 (Cents) a Gram :icon_thumleft: and... :icon_scratch: You really should say if you weighed it with our without the wood liner. :dontknow: Maybe this will help you get an accurate offer, I hope you can sell it. :thumbsup: :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Absolutely RIGHTEOUS find and screw what it's composition is and NEVER let anyone con you into wood removal as that great antique is definately worth a LL of a lot more than lousy melt. Congratulations and bummer ya gotta sell-thanx much for the pix-John

OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used

Hoser John said:
Absolutely RIGHTEOUS find and screw what it's composition is and NEVER let anyone con you into wood removal as that great antique is definitely worth a LL of a lot more than lousy melt. Congratulations and bummer ya gotta sell-thanx much for the pix-John
Don't really have to sell it, just don't really have a reason to keep it. I understand what you are saying and I am aware that most want it for nothing. Thus I will keep it before I give it away. Happy Hunting!!!

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hoser John said:
Absolutely RIGHTEOUS find and screw what it's composition is and NEVER let anyone con you into wood removal as that great antique is definately worth a LL of a lot more than lousy melt. Congratulations and bummer ya gotta sell-thanx much for the pix-John

What a find! I can't imagine the adrenaline rush of digging that thing up! GREAT JOB!

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

would be kool to track down who originally won that box from the parade... athough would hafta be on the downlow cause they might hav been the ones to bury the cache and want their cutLOL

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:

JohninCT said:
Just a note, that 409 grams troy= 13.15 troy ozs, not 13.5. Also, did you weight it with the wood in it?

Hey Hoser, 1961 items aren't antiques.
Might be a collectors item to someone because it was an award though.
Again I ask, what is the weight without the wood?

OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used

JohninCT said:
JohninCT said:

Hey Hoser, 1961 items aren't antiques.
Might be a collectors item to someone because it was an award though.
Again I ask, what is the weight without the wood?

Don't know what it weighs without the thin layer of teakwood inside. It seems to be glued in and I don't want to destroy the box.I doubt it weighs very much as it is very thin.

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Understandable. Is the box marked 'Sterling', and by what company? Thanks

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had no idea the lining was part of the original box.... :icon_scratch:

Cool ! :o 8)

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

darkwing_66

Jul 10, 2010
northern alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer2 tesoro tejon

hi
keep it togeather. its worth more as a cashe then just the box and try to see if you can track down the winner of the box. i bet you would get more then what the silver value is from the owner

OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used

JohninCT said:
Box is marked on bottom WM ROGERS 420 C

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

KEVTEC said:
JohninCT said:

Thanks, unfortunately with that stamping I am almost sure it is silver plate not sterling. Better have it checked. By the way, it was originaly a cigarette box with one side for the matches.

OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used

JohninCT said:
KEVTEC said:
JohninCT said:

Thanks, unfortunately with that stamping I am almost sure it is silver plate not sterling. Better have it checked. By the way, it was originaly a cigarette box with one side for the matches.
Of course I had it checked. It is indeed sterling silver. Had it checked at a jewelry store.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Legal current definition of the antique is older than 50 years or older which 1961 just happens to be :tongue3:

Lust4fun

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2010
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
v3 etrac tdi f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One thing to note....
It might be good to check it again....from those markings I agree that it "shouldnt" be sterling. Usually its always marked sterling or 925 and/or similar markings. I have bought hundreds of things like this and have a lot of knowledge from trial and error. Usually sterling doesnt appear in that fashion either with pits and decoloration even if its been in the ground for years. Sometimes because the "silver" plate is so thick that it appears to be sterling when in fact its just heavy plated or clad silver. Sometimes the only way you can tell is to cut or drill into the item to make sure its sterling all the way thru.

Good luck on this piece!

OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used

Lust4fun said:
One thing to note....
It might be good to check it again....from those markings I agree that it "shouldn't" be sterling. Usually its always marked sterling or 925 and/or similar markings. I have bought hundreds of things like this and have a lot of knowledge from trial and error. Usually sterling doesnt appear in that fashion either with pits and decoloration even if its been in the ground for years. Sometimes because the "silver" plate is so thick that it appears to be sterling when in fact its just heavy plated or clad silver. Sometimes the only way you can tell is to cut or drill into the item to make sure its sterling all the way thru.

Good luck on this piece!
Interesting that you would say sterling doesn't discolor no matter how long it's been in the ground. First there are no pits on the surface, second have you ever dug silver coins from the ground and had some shiney and others discolored? I have done both silver and sterling. Depends on the mineralization in the ground. Drilling a hole is out of the question, besides there are less primitive methods which was done by a jeweler with 40 yrs experience. Either way it's all good as I'm not selling this item because I need the money nor will I give it away. Worst case scenario is sit it on my desk as a reminder as to when I found it full of silver dollars and assorted other early coins and maybe sit the 2010 annual of W&E Magazine under it since it was on the COVER.. Happy Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread