❎ SOLD Sterling silver cache box I found SOLD

fwcrawford

Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT
OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Re: Sterling silver cache box I found

fwcrawford said:
That is a very interesting find... I can't believe someone took the trouble to seal and bury an empty box even if it is silver.
Maybe some other items buried nearby.. you may want to check.
I bet it was a rush finding this treasure even if it turn out to be empty.
Congradulations on your find,
Felix
Look at the pictures, It wasn't empty, it had silver dollars, Indian heads, v nickles etc.

Pale Rider

Jul 11, 2010

That is one cool find. Don't listen to these guys who are nit-picking this nice box and coins. Everybody on here would have loved to have found it even if it had been make out of cheap plastic. The coins combined with the box make for an awesome find. Congrats!

OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer

Pale Rider said:
That is one cool find. Don't listen to these guys who are nit-picking this nice box and coins. Everybody on here would have loved to have found it even if it had been make out of cheap plastic. The coins combined with the box make for an awesome find. Congrats!
Trust me those that say it's not sterling, and drill holes in it, well all I can say is I wish I could figure out the PROPERTIES of an object from a photo without actually seeing the object. If in fact I could do that I would be a millionair to say the least. As stated before I don't have to sell it, just have had it for over a yr and don't have a reason for keeping it.

Lust4fun

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2010
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
v3 etrac tdi f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its a great find! I just dont think its sterling...just what my many years of buying that sort of thing says to me. Once you have bought 100 or 200 of things like this....you see things that give you clues...as what it truly is. The rogers markings and finish are definate clues!

Jewerly stores arent the greatest for knowing what something is.....they arent even so great on buying gold as a local chain jeweler bought many rings and watches that they personally checked for 14kt content....they later found out that they bought heavy plated rings and watch cases of 14kt layered gold....they lost 1000s of dollars. You just have to be really carefull and really check some items as they are not what they seem....just hoping to help some people that might get taken by some not so honest dealer etc.

A nice find for sure and I hope its sterling but....you know.

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lust4fun said:
Its a great find! I just dont think its sterling...just what my many years of buying that sort of thing says to me. Once you have bought 100 or 200 of things like this....you see things that give you clues...as what it truly is. The rogers markings and finish are definate clues!

Jewerly stores arent the greatest for knowing what something is.....they arent even so great on buying gold as a local chain jeweler bought many rings and watches that they personally checked for 14kt content....they later found out that they bought heavy plated rings and watch cases of 14kt layered gold....they lost 1000s of dollars. You just have to be really carefull and really check some items as they are not what they seem....just hoping to help some people that might get taken by some not so honest dealer etc.

A nice find for sure and I hope its sterling but....you know.
Looks like it had varnish on it, which is used to blue guns. Over time the blue wears off and some of the varnish remains.

OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used

To all the nay sayers, box has been sold, verified as sterling by the buyer, even shipped box prior to payment, since I have nothing to hide and was verified by purchaser of the box was indeed sterling silver. Just remember an expert self proclaimed is defined expert by photographs is EXPERT IS AN UNKNOWN FACTOR AND A SPURT IS A DRIP UNDER PRESSURE. SOLD AND PAID FOR. Happy Hunting to all!!!

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KEVTEC said:
To all the nay sayers, box has been sold, verified as sterling by the buyer, even shipped box prior to payment, since I have nothing to hide and was verified by purchaser of the box was indeed sterling silver. Just remember an expert self proclaimed is defined expert by photographs is EXPERT IS AN UNKNOWN FACTOR AND A SPURT IS A DRIP UNDER PRESSURE. SOLD AND PAID FOR. Happy Hunting to all!!!
Wasn't saying that it wasn't sterling silver was just saying it looked to be blued :icon_scratch:

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dtpost said:
KEVTEC said:
Wasn't saying that it wasn't sterling silver was just saying it looked to be blued :icon_scratch:

Somebody else had doubts....

Lust4fun

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2010
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
v3 etrac tdi f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good for you! I dont know how your buyer would know its sterling without seeing or testing it but I guess he know whats he is doing. Just as I wouldnt know absolutely for sure that it wasnt but rogers stamp was a very good indication of what it is....or is not.

Im glad evenyone is happy! Good luck

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Hoser John said:
Absolutely RIGHTEOUS find and screw what it's composition is and NEVER let anyone con you into wood removal as that great antique is definately worth a LL of a lot more than lousy melt. Congratulations and bummer ya gotta sell-thanx much for the pix-John

I agree ... it is worth much more than the silver.

sdogg77

Mar 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been over a year but worth a try. Noone on here knows what they are talking about. I found this box today at a thrift store but it does not have any markings on the top but on the bottom it is eagle Wm Rogers star. This is not a ”cache box”. It is a cigarette case. The wood on the inside is easily removed and placed back in. If you research the markings you will find out that if the box is marked as I described it was made between 1825-1841. After 1841 they marked things with Roger bros. I just got frustraded when people were saying dont remove the wood

sdogg77

Mar 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also wanted to add the two compartments are for matches in the small compartment and cigarettes in the bigger one. Was there a eagle and star on each end of the wm Rogers marking of the one you had ? That is what I have and after looking it up I know what it is and when it was made but I have no idea the value of a early 1800s real silver cigarette case

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Nice first post on the site. You are a little late, it was already identified as a cigarette box. It was called a "cache box" because it contained a cache of coins in it when the OP found it. Since "noone" on here knows what they are talking about, I doubt you will find the answers you seek.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread