Sterling Silver Cigarette Case (?) and Pottery -- Nice 30min Yard Hit

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THIS POST HAS BEEN UPDATED!!! JUST FOUND OUT WHAT I HAVE!!! (see below)

In every recent post I mention that my yard is just about tapped out. Still using my basic detector and no pointer. Dirty hands are my new trademark.

Anyway, there's a runoff on the hill in my front yard. I usually don't use my detector but just look for glass and pottery that has washed out from the ground. I've found a ridiculous amount of the stuff. Today I decided to use the detector and glad I did. I kept hitting a sharp tone but could find it. I realized it was under a big root-- so I dug underneath and saw a large piece of yellow pottery.

IMG_5136.JPG

On top of the pottery looked to be a square, black piece of a roof shingle. But when I pulled it out, I realized it was a piece of metal-- I thought copper and just thought it was scrap.

IMG_5146.jpg

When I cleaned it, one side still looked like copper but the other side started shining. Then I look at it under the look and to my surprise it was engraved.

IMG_5145.JPG

"(two letters that I can't make out AP?) WHITE MAKER NY FINEST QUALITY A. No"

IMG_5154.jpg

It looks like there might have been hinges but it's little beat up. Not sure to tell if it's sterling if I don't eventually located other marks but it it does not stick to a magnet.

IMG_5149.jpg

A few months ago, at the top of the hill, I found this silver wax seal stamp with a monogram. Hopefully the two are related. More digging...

IMG_3499.jpg

Pottery/Glass

IMG_5137.JPG

NEW INFORMATION:
The plate marked "E White" is actually from a daguerreotype plate!!!
Info I found: "Edward White was a daguerreotypist and plate manufacturer in New York City working out of 175 Broadway during the 1840s."

The crazy thing is-- I have found several pieces of what I always thought was the front tin frame of a daguerreotype. I still have all the pieces and can't wait to see if they're connected. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Upvote 9
The case looks great but i learned from a ship first class spoon i dug that its plated but finest quality means the most layers of silver. Thats probably why it still has some on it. Most plated stuff that's old only has the copper base metal left out if the ground! [emoji2]

Last edited:
DC YOU JUST KEEP ON PULLING NICE STUFF OUT YOUR YARD . THAT IS A HELLLUVA FIND AND THE HISTORY BEHIND IT .

Maybe you need to find out who has lived where you live now? Or what type of structures were there before your house....That could be insightful and exciting.

Old crock lid there you go DC....... Nice finds

Maybe you need to find out who has lived where you live now? Or what type of structures were there before your house....That could be insightful and exciting.

I've spent hours doing that actually. It's fascinating stuff... you can check my other posts if you're interested. I even found the deed from 1890! Loads of fun in the DC dirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back