What's new

Sterling Spoon Set - 148.5 grams!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
4,476
Reaction score
12,338
Golden Thread
2
Location
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these spoons today, among many other things, at one of my local dumps. They are all sterling silver and according to my research were made by the Alvin Manufacturing Corporation. Together they weigh in at 148.5 grams, or about 29.5 grams a piece. And I found these literally minutes after putting on a new lucky medallion that I told myself would help me find treasure today - so now I think I will forever wear this medallion when I look for treasure as it seems to be working so far. :icon_pirat:

20160115_191330.webp20160115_191434.webp
20160115_191410.webp20160115_191526.webp
 
Upvote 50
Great save, I miss my local dump that had an exchange trailer where people would put the good stuff.
 
I admire your pluck! nice find
 
Good score on the silver...the price was right.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Great score. You can really sniff out the silver, UnderMiner. You are like a bloodhound for precious metals!
 
my dump is only a transfer station...alas - most of my silver (dump silver) comes from dumpsters I see parked in front of houses getting cleaned-out - - Im still looking for weird old food/household packaging- should you run into any (1960s-90s stuff)
 
my dump is only a transfer station...alas - most of my silver (dump silver) comes from dumpsters I see parked in front of houses getting cleaned-out - - Im still looking for weird old food/household packaging- should you run into any (1960s-90s stuff)

I just raided a residential "house clean-out" dumpster a few hours ago shortly after making this initial posting. Didn't find any old packaging but I did find a big heavy brass lamp and a really nice leather jacket among other things. It's quite easy to find relics in the trash if you have the devotion and simply dare to look.

I've been taking your advice and been looking for old household products, I saw your extensive inventory of finds on Flickr, quite an impressive collection. All I found as of recent was a vintage "Gore Glide" dental floss tin, which is actually a pretty neat old advertising product and it still has the original floss in it. :tongue3:
 
amazing what people throw away
 
Great save, but a set over here is a min. of 6. (Shame for resale, melt doesn't matter)
 
Pardon me for jumping in on your parade but I also found two silver spoons off a old farmstead in northern Maryland. I was able to identify the silver smith but still cant find a date. Any info would be great. The larger of the two is pretty heavy and beautiful floral design. Thx

100_1706.webp100_1707.webp
 
Pardon me for jumping in on your parade but I also found two silver spoons off a old farmstead in northern Maryland. I was able to identify the silver smith but still cant find a date. Any info would be great. The larger of the two is pretty heavy and beautiful floral design. Thx

View attachment 1260964View attachment 1260965

Can you post some close ups of the marks? May help date them! [emoji2]
 
That's money in the hand there! Another Great save!! Lets see a pic of the lucky medallion! I have a silver ring I wear as my Lucky charm.. dug it right before I got my find of a lifetime a few years ago.
 
Sure thing, thanks for your help on this piece. The spoons measures at 7 3/4" and weighs 3.5 oz. I hope these pics help.

100_1738.webp100_1737.webp100_1736.webp100_1731.webp100_1727.webp100_1728.webp
 
Found these spoons today, among many other things, at one of my local dumps. They are all sterling silver and according to my research were made by the Alvin Manufacturing Corporation. Together they weigh in at 148.5 grams, or about 29.5 grams a piece. And I found these literally minutes after putting on a new lucky medallion that I told myself would help me find treasure today - so now I think I will forever wear this medallion when I look for treasure as it seems to be working so far. :icon_pirat:

View attachment 1260771View attachment 1260776
View attachment 1260774View attachment 1260772

Awesome stuff. I'd be psyched! [emoji106]
 
Fantastic silver find! :occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom