What's new

Sterling Spoon Set - 148.5 grams!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
4,476
Reaction score
12,338
Golden Thread
2
Location
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these spoons today, among many other things, at one of my local dumps. They are all sterling silver and according to my research were made by the Alvin Manufacturing Corporation. Together they weigh in at 148.5 grams, or about 29.5 grams a piece. And I found these literally minutes after putting on a new lucky medallion that I told myself would help me find treasure today - so now I think I will forever wear this medallion when I look for treasure as it seems to be working so far. :icon_pirat:

20160115_191330.webp20160115_191434.webp
20160115_191410.webp20160115_191526.webp
 
Upvote 50
Here some info that may help find a date. Matching the pattern style and the way the stamped the name may help most. If I get more time soon I'll try myself to give a hand.
http://thestieffcompany.com/
The Stieff Company Date Marks ?

I checked out those links and was able to contact Scott Perkins, Publisher & Curator, THESTIEFFCOMPANY.COM. Amazing response time from a email I sent him. He informed me that this piece was made in 1939 and can be found in the 1939 catalog. This piece serves dual duty. One is a Plain BERRY SPOON.. for serving fruit. Second is as part of a SALAD SET.. matched with a salad fork. Thanks for your help again. Now I have to go back and MD for the salad fork. lol
 
Very cool silver find, nice weight to it!
 
The penalty for a Post Hijack is the forfeiture of 2 silver spoons,, lol
 
MINER I HAD TO PUT MY SUNGLASSES ON . MAN SOME SHINY BLING....
 
That's money in the hand there! Another Great save!! Lets see a pic of the lucky medallion! I have a silver ring I wear as my Lucky charm.. dug it right before I got my find of a lifetime a few years ago.

For my birthday a close friend gave me this 1781 Spanish Piece of Eight on a black leather cord, so far I've worn it nearly every day and it has brought me much good fortune, it also got me into researching the year 1781. Was the same year the Articles of Confederation were formally ratified, Benedict Arnold was burning Richmond and still leading British troops in his traitorous plot to undo the Revolution, and George Washington was still on the battlefield not to be President for another 8 years. History fascinates me :D

Medalion.webpmedalion 2.webp
 
Awesome silver save!
It never ceases to amaze me what people throw away!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom