Still learning

Bamadad53

Oct 24, 2016
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it stopped raining long enough to go out to a old school site for about an hour. Still struggling some on learning how to understand the AT Pro. That thing talks a lot and some of the time in a language I don't yet understand. I have gotten the noise level down a good bit by following advise from other folks at TN. Now I just have to learn what the machine is trying to tell me. Anyway a one hour hunt yielded a hand full of trash and 3 coins. One 1944 wheat penny, one 1980 penny and a 1987 clad dime. Last time I dug up a wheat was about 1982 in my yesteryear MD life, so yeah it felt good. One of these days when I wrestle this AT Pro to the ground and we talk the same language I'm gonna pull some old stuff out of the ground. Till then one coin at a time.

Bamadad

Upvote 9
Well it stopped raining long enough to go out to a old school site for about an hour. Still struggling some on learning how to understand the AT Pro. That thing talks a lot and some of the time in a language I don't yet understand. I have gotten the noise level down a good bit by following advise from other folks at TN. Now I just have to learn what the machine is trying to tell me. Anyway a one hour hunt yielded a hand full of trash and 3 coins. One 1944 wheat penny, one 1980 penny and a 1987 clad dime. Last time I dug up a wheat was about 1982 in my yesteryear MD life, so yeah it felt good. One of these days when I wrestle this AT Pro to the ground and we talk the same language I'm gonna pull some old stuff out of the ground. Till then one coin at a time.

Bamadad

That machine does love to talk, ground balance and proper sensitivity settings go along way with and it. Also it takes a while to get the settings figured out but once you get them down and start speaking the machines language it's a great detector even does pretty well on the beach after a bit of trial and error.

Happy hunting

Congrats on the coins. There are many more to come. It takes a little time to learn any machine and the Atpro is a great unit. You'll be talking the talk before you know it. This is a great site to learn.

HH RN

I started using a lot of discrimination and I recommend the method for most. It's easier to learn some of it at a time than to be overwhelmed with all the chatter and tones. With the F4 I disc'd out all possible and then notch nickels and zincs back in. Sometimes I left zinc out. Over time I discriminated less in year two and now I only disc out the bottom half of the iron range 3 years into the hobby. This is a marathon, not a speed race. Experience is the best, the more you swing the coil, the more you will become more in tune with what it's telling you. Good Luck

Yep, just keep listening close, do some testing at home, a read these guys here! They KNOW what they're doing!

Took me a while to learn the newer technology. Long way from the Garrett GroundHog!

Keep on a pluggin'! :)

I have no doubt you will be pulling more and more keepers as time goes by. Congrats on the wheats. I've only found 4 and have been doing this since May. Looking forward to what you find next. Good luck!

Well at least you got a Wheat out of today's 'lesson'. Good luck mastering your new machine! :icon_thumright:

Keep working with the Pro, it will "click" before you know it! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back