Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

I'll keep this short. I returned to a section of woods where I recently found a William iii halfpenny and a nicely gilded Navy button. I hunted for about three hours without much to show for my efforts. I hit a reasonable signal along side a stream...not a great signal, but I figured worth a look.

At the bottom of the hole was an incredibly small coin. Thought it might be a trime...but seemed too small.

oaktree 2 pence 4.jpg oaktree 2 pence 5.jpg

It wasn't until I got it home that I realized what I had found...a 1662 Massachusetts Oak Tree Twopence coin. Honestly, I didn't even know that they minted a two pence coin. Not sure what variety it is, so will need to do some research. Can't begin to describe how excited I am. This is my oldest coin, and I doubt I will ever find one older.

oaktree 2 pence 8.jpg oaktrr 2 pence 7.jpg oaktree 2 pence 1.jpg

This was literally the only coin I found after three hours of digging. You can see my other finds below. Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has any thoughts about the specific variety of the coin, please feel free to share. HH

Oaktree 2 pence 6.jpg

Upvote 197

relicredeemer

Jan 2, 2015
western mass
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3,Whites MXT Allpro.Tesoro Sandshark,MinelabEquinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

I'll keep this short. I returned to a section of woods where I recently found a William iii halfpenny and a nicely gilded Navy button. I hunted for about three hours without much to show for my efforts. I hit a reasonable signal along side a stream...not a great signal, but I figured worth a look.

At the bottom of the hole was an incredibly small coin. Thought it might be a trime...but seemed too small.

View attachment 2025794 View attachment 2025795

It wasn't until I got it home that I realized what I had found...a 1662 Massachusetts Oak Tree Twopence coin. Honestly, I didn't even know that they minted a two pence coin. Not sure what variety it is, so will need to do some research. Can't begin to describe how excited I am. This is my oldest coin, and I doubt I will ever find one older.

View attachment 2025796 View attachment 2025797 View attachment 2025798

This was literally the only coin I found after three hours of digging. You can see my other finds below. Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has any thoughts about the specific variety of the coin, please feel free to share. HH

View attachment 2025803
You found one of the best finds of early America,congrats!

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings!

View attachment 2025803
Congrats welcome to the tree club

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comment ARC. I opted to not pursue getting this coin graded. For me, its priceless, and will forever hold a place of honor in my collection. I can't see the day when I would choose to sell it. If that day ever comes, I will certainly need to go through the grading process...but not today or the forseeable future. HH.
You made the right choice. Putting it in a tomb makes no sense to me.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made the right choice. Putting it in a tomb makes no sense to me.
Your obviously not a "coin guy" then. heh

Its called "preservation" / "documentation" and stops any further deterioration.

Once this is and has been inducted into the files and documented ... photographed professionally by grader and registered... the value then is locked in in most cases.
Its now "known" and its value triples.

Also,,, Once graded you can watch its value via comps throughout the time you own it.

Otherwise... your always just guessing as to its real worth and allowing it to be exposed to the circulated air that will certainly degrade it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People... take it from someone who has seen many lose tons of potential money due to the fact they have allowed finds to collect more environmental damages and some to the point of a TOTAL loss of any value.

IF you find something of historical value AND incredibly rare... SUCH AS THIS COIN...

Dont be lazy and cheap... IMO you have a duty to do everything you can to preserve it...
Anything less than this is a sacrilege to this craft and art of metal detection.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But.... there is and are those who dont..... which can also be a good thing.........

FOR the others that did do it.

FOR you just increased the value of THEIR coin. heh

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
... are you seriously trying to school Crusader on coin preservation?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... are you seriously trying to school Crusader on coin preservation?
IF you are talking to me ... yes.

He may be a collector in a sense of finding them in the ground... but there is a big deference between the 2.

heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you are talking to me ... yes.

He may be a collector in a sense of finding them in the ground... but there is a big deference between the 2.

heh
Furthermore... if you are siding with the thinking that this coin should not be graded... then um... heh.... ehhhh yeah.

I have nothing more to add.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your obviously not a "coin guy" then. heh

Its called "preservation" / "documentation" and stops any further deterioration.

Once this is and has been inducted into the files and documented ... photographed professionally by grader and registered... the value then is locked in in most cases.
Its now "known" and its value triples.

Also,,, Once graded you can watch its value via comps throughout the time you own it.

Otherwise... your always just guessing as to its real worth and allowing it to be exposed to the circulated air that will certainly degrade it.
Not interested in the value & it needs no preservation other than the right coin sleeve/coin tray. The British Museum don't do it with any of their ancient coins, they are in open coin trays. I would rather take their advise than someone charging me.
If fact I've been behind the scenes of the Fitzwilliam Museum that house the rarest Saxon Coinage in Britain & they are in velvet lined coin trays.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not interested in the value & it needs no preservation other than the right coin sleeve/coin tray. The British Museum don't do it with any of their ancient coins, they are in open coin trays. I would rather take their advise than someone charging me.
If fact I've been behind the scenes of the Fitzwilliam Museum that house the rarest Saxon Coinage in Britain & they are in velvet lined coin trays.
Crusader... heh... There is a reason why this is.
Museums ARE ABSOLUTE controlled environments... Temp / Humidity / etc.
Not to mention careful regulated GLOVED access etc etc etc.
NOT some "box" or "fire safe" / safe that IS NOT made specifically with chemical gas-off in mind. etc
also... that "velvet" lining you mentioned... is not something they sell at your local fabric store.
Its specific material to preservation... Dont believe me... ask them yourself.

Coin sleeves are not all the same... many can and will cause damage if not made from correct material... Many of those soft plastic flips are garbage PVC.... which is BAD for coins.

Also... i cannot get over your statement ... "I am not interested in preservation"... :/
YOU of ALL people on here saying this.
Makes me want to quit T net.

What's the point of it all then ? ? ?
Just for kicks ? ? ?
Show off ? ? ?
Sell off old environment damaged lot ? ? ?
Melt down into blob one day ? ? ?

IF you have been fortunate enough to be given the green light to detect historical areas and ALSO been given the opportunity to KEEP finds you found.
AT THE VERY least you have an obligation / duty... NOT TO ANYONE... BUT TO THAT FIND... to give it the best you can afford to insure its continued longevity.

Otherwise just leave it "insitu" and one of us here who does care will come along and take proper care of them.
Cruz... I notice the coins you mostly find are common to YOUR neck of the woods... IOW's not a big deal and found on a regular basis... like us finding a 1945 silver coin here.
AND YES... just clean off and toss them into a holder... no big deal.

NOT THIS COIN.. THE OPS COIN IS NOT in this same realm by any stretch of the imagination.

Finds /coins like the OPS is extremely rare for US here... a once in a lifetime find... and were RARE to begin with upon making... and THE FIRST coinage of OUR COUNTRY.... we dont have the long drawn out history of mega years of coin making your country does.
NO COMPARISON to most of your rare coins... the OP's is so rare we can count them all in total existence in minutes.
THEREFORE... great measures should be taken to protect and preserve them.

Sheesh... ok im done... definitely with this thread... i think i have heard it all now here on Tnet.

AND PS... i will leave you with this... take close note on the rise on graded coin SAME as OPS IMO

GRADED at ms 65- one of your coins sold at Stack's 10/2005 for $27,600...
That SAME coin 5 years later - Bowers & Merena 11/2010 $103,500
And IF that same coin were to surface at auction TODAY.... HOLY CRAPOLA.

EVEN IN the worst grade ... (low / bad condition) which yours is NOT... and IMO stellar and why i am crying for you to get it graded.
EVEN IN lowest grade.... these sell for thousands of dollars... GRADED only.

So... put it in what ya want... heh... again i'm done.

Last edited:

cellar dweller

Jan 7, 2007
connecticut
Detector(s) used
whites dfx , minelab excal II
Greetings!

View attachment 2025803
Wow

LadyHunter

Oct 29, 2022
Greetings!

View attachment 2025803
That is a beautiful coin. Congratulations!

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find of a lifetime, great job digging that up!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings!

View attachment 2025803
Still an Incredible Find!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread