fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been going through my iron bucket and throwing out stuff I know is trash, I came across these two pieces. They were caked in dirt and it wasn't until I washed them off that I thought they might be something. Both came from a Native American site that dates no later than the early 1830s. While there was trade with the "white" man none ever inhabited this site.
I was told that the ax is a trade one and I think the other piece may be the bottom of a stirrup. Am I close?

Attachments

• 20190330_110924.jpg
    20190330_110924.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190330_110816.jpg
    20190330_110816.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190330_142157.jpg
    20190330_142157.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190330_142209.jpg
    20190330_142209.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 39

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm no expert on trade axes, but if I'd found that baby I'd be preserving it tout suite! :occasion14:
Yes, your other iron relic is most likely the bottom of a stirrup.

"The “trade axe” was used in trade between the British merchants and Native American trappers during the mid-19th century. The axe has a single piece of curled iron on a wooden handle. Beaver fur trading was central to the North American economy from the 16th until to the mid-19th century. British traders exchanged one beaver pelt for one axe head. The pelt was sold in England for 16 shillings, while the trade axe cost a mere 2 shillings to buy, leading to a massive profit for the traders, and the associated Hudson’s Bay Company, who monopolized the beaver fur trade in North America."

Dave

Attachments

• NMAH-ET2014-08176.jpg
    NMAH-ET2014-08176.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are nice finds.

what would you apply to the iron to help preserve it?

Great question Sir. :thumbsup:
I know that electrolysis is one of the most effective ways to remove rust and corrosion from iron.

I've never experimented with electrolysis, so I prefer to tumble my iron and non-ferrous relics.
Dave

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way I protect my old hit&miss engines and other related items(metal or wood) is remove all the loose rust you can they paint it with 3 parts mineral spirits mixed with 1 part linseed oil. works great and looks good! It will be sticky for a few days but will dry and last for years.
Those are nice finds.

what would you apply to the iron to help preserve it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool find. Good stuff VPN. Might help in identifying an old axe head I found, but it's most likely a late 19th early 20th century item, as not many folks pioneered this area I live until then. They're were only passers-by following the Laramie trail in the mid 19th century, as there was gold and silver in them hills west of here they wanted to get to. The ones that first settled around me, found exposed coal seams to mine and others thought they could maybe grow alfalfa, to which they did and with that they began to settle the area. Now it's all a part of the ever growing suburbia of the Denver front range and the cost of living along with housing keeps rising ever higher, but that ain't stopped anymore folks from moving in. One things for sure is we've got the most awesome airport in the land here. I flew out of LAX last Friday and boy you'd think they out there with all the money they have would at least redecorate everything from the 1970s styles. Only peaceful area I could find waiting around there was where travelers could take their dogs for a little relief.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your as is American Indian contact period. That said, we're talking probably French and Indian War through Revolutionary War period. Both pieces are from that time frame. These are great finds. I have found a total of 3 axes from the period since I started looking in the late 1960's. Yes, I'm an old cat. If you can remember where they were found, I would go back and get what you can. There has to be more stuff there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your as is American Indian contact period. That said, we're talking probably French and Indian War through Revolutionary War period. Both pieces are from that time frame. These are great finds. I have found a total of 3 axes from the period since I started looking in the late 1960's. Yes, I'm an old cat. If you can remember where they were found, I would go back and get what you can. There has to be more stuff there.

I know exactly where they came from but the property changed ownership and I don't have permission to go back! I am no spring chicken myself. I started hunting in the Hagerstown, Md. area in the early 70s.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the recoveries!

Nice "hawk"/tomahawk /belt axe/ect... I see five inches but would need a firsthand encounter comprehend size. (A stubborn brain thing).
It seems to be a good size between a heavy hawk , and one small enough to tote easy , while still suitable for multiple uses.

The eye on a hawk can and did vary by the creator.
A round tapered eye is my personal favorite as it holds a simple handle well.

Your triangular eye is nice. (!).
Not a style I have handled or studied but it hints of being French design in origin.

IF French trade was dominant in your recovery sites area it could help going forward with i.d.ing other relics.
And of course give some insight into previous residents in multiple ways ,by era.
French were (depending on era) more generous with gifts , and in exchange rates at times.
Too , they were interested in trade more than domination outside of "New France". Depending again , on era. Location.

Political alliances , quality of trade goods , generosity of those being traded with or welcomed or not...History of relationships , marriages between parties , and more, all factored in who business was done with. And who was allied with. During a given era.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread