What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Stirrup?

ncsuwolf

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2024
Messages
1,244
Reaction score
3,218
Golden Thread
0
Location
Near Richmond va
Finally getting around to giving my iron finds from the past 6 months a nice electrolysis bath. Found a few months back near Richmond Va on a site dating to at least the mid 1850s (mid 1700s within 1/2 mile). Only thing I can come up with is a stirrup, but have never seen/found one like this. Thoughts?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3792.webp
    IMG_3792.webp
    2.9 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3795.webp
    IMG_3795.webp
    4.9 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3794.webp
    IMG_3794.webp
    3.1 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3793.webp
    IMG_3793.webp
    3 MB · Views: 85
Finally getting around to giving my iron finds from the past 6 months a nice electrolysis bath. Found a few months back near Richmond Va on a site dating to at least the mid 1850s (mid 1700s within 1/2 mile). Only thing I can come up with is a stirrup, but have never seen/found one like this. Thoughts?
I would definitely vote stirrup 👍
 
Upvote 2
Hard to imagine using those on a horse. Maybe for oxen?
 
Upvote 0
I am NO EXPERT but i do not believe that is a stirrup. On the second thought if it was inside a leather covering then possibly :)
 
Upvote 1
It could be part of a set of leather covered "buddy stirrups" for a child.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2637.webp
    IMG_2637.webp
    332.6 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0
I just can not imaging them using a metal stirrup with sharp edges that could injure a horse
 
Upvote 0
I think the ones Rmeav8r posted are wooden
 
Upvote 0
I’m thinking Gare is on the right path. They are western style stirrups which may have been leather covered.
 
Upvote 0
I am NO EXPERT but i do not believe that is a stirrup. On the second thought if it was inside a leather covering then possibly :)
Agree. Way to sharp on those corners. Possibly a frame for a stirrup. OR, something else entirely. Could be a stirrup for something entirely unrelated to animal tack.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Spur ID
Replies
8
Views
759

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom