STOLEN DETECTORS

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
stoney56 said:
rferris75 said:
Alot of the Md's have the serial numbers inside the battery box guys.

True but some people who tend to steal try and remove SN #'s if possible. Just a thought.

If we observe a serial number that has been removed, we get suspicious - our policy is that we take the item and tell the person to show proof they own it. Meanwhile we contact teh mfg. and attempt to find other numbers that help identifying the real owner.

If you put a owner id number on it, put it in plain sight. If you use your drivers license number, put the state of issue on it too (example - MO 1234456). If the item has these 2 things we can help getting your property back quicker.

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Sierra Madre off this forum about a month ago. When it arrived the first thing I noticed was that a number or name had been ground off of the upper rod. It really stands out. I'm wondering whether it's stolen or whether it was a legitimate sale and the new owner just wanted it removed. The serial number is still in the battery box.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I really should engrave DL # on a lot of things.
Just never get a 'round tuit'.
It really does help cops catch bad guys who might otherwise walk away...

Best
rmptr

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello,
A question I am kind of wondering about. If you have your DL # on a stolen item, wouldn't that give the thief an
opportunity to steal your identity? There is so much info available on the computer.

Ray karenray08

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
You are probably correct, Ray.

Maybe that's why my ID is on NOTHING I own!

Anymore, I'm nervous about putting junkmail in the garbage.

Credit card OFFERS! what if someone else fills it out?

Best,
rmptr

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
karenray08 said:
Hello,
A question I am kind of wondering about. If you have your DL # on a stolen item, wouldn't that give the thief an
opportunity to steal your identity? There is so much info available on the computer.

Ray karenray08

That is why don't put your Social Security number on anything. A DL will only give date of birth and address. There are other unique identifying numbers. Contact your local Sheriff's Dept. or Police Dept to see if they participate in an ID Program. If they don't ask your insurance agent, some companies have a ID Program.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread