STOLEN DETECTORS

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I know this isnt the correct forum ...but with the rash of stolen detectors posted today...I am wondering if we should have a spot just where we can post a photo and description of our stolen property.....That way if anyone is buying off ebay or a pawn shop they could check it out here first and maybe track down some of these detector thieves......

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friend had his new DFX stolen. The guy he believes stole it has a drug problem, but he can't prove he stole it.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea. E-bay & Craigslist are great spots for dumping stolen items.
-MM-

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
TXBLUZMAN said:
The one thing I hate most in this world is a thief. :cussing:

I can add two more: Liar and Cheat...... 3 things I dispise in a person: Liar, Cheat and Thief!!!!

Good Idea Gypsy! Since reading the last thread about the guy who had his window broken and his metal detector taken from his vehicle...I took out my engraving machine and have engraved identifying marks on all three of ours and wrote down any and all info from the detectors and took photos and this will go in my household book. I keep a book of items in my home, both paper copy with photos and on CD with photos, God Forbid something happens, I can give info to Police and / or Insurance company.

I'm on a roll now...have been engraving all my boys Boy Scout stuff too!!!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
That sounds like a good idea to me! Even if there was just one that was recovered by doing that it would make it worthwhile!

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing that I think the detector companies can do is engrave the serial number inside the box of the controll head instead of on a sticky piece of paper that can be scraped off with a knife leaving the machines vertually untraceable if they are stolen. Just my 3 cents worth.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Why not make a circuit inside the box that will deactivate the detector unless the person who owns it runs an RFID tag over a spot on the box?

Wouldn't take much extra circuitry to make this happen and it would essentially make the thing unusable to anyone but the owner.

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV, Bounty Hunter QD II
I guess I need to look. I did not see a serial number on my two units..If they are not on you can engrave your driver licence number on the body some place . If not the Mfg's should put one on....Then record the info and keep it in a safe place the same as you would with your fire arms and cameras etc. ??? :thumbsup:

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
If your machine does not have a visible serial number and does not have a # readily visible, we cops can't run it to see if it is stolen. You can put your DL# on it or contact your local Police/Sheriff Office to see if they participate in an ID Program where they can give you a unique ID number to use on valuables that lack a serial number. Remember that some numbers and letters look alike, so when applying them be cautious (an O looks like a 0, 2 and Z, etc).

Whenever we do searches and come across property with a serial number, our policy is to run it, in the effort to recover stolen property. Not everyone thinks like this but there are many cops that will.

kycanine

Jul 29, 2007
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Eagle77 is absolutely correct. I am also a police officer, and can not express enough the need to have your valuables marked. And always report thefts to the police. I work drugs, and can't tell you how many times I have been in a crack-house with piles of stolen stuff lying about. Without it being reported and marked, there is no way to track down the owner. Or prosecute the thief. If you etch your drivers license number into it, we can simply run your license number, and then contact you. It only takes a few minutes to mark it, and may pay off big, later.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Just a thought, add your name, ID #, and phone # inside the coil cover. After all, how often do you take it off. :wink:
Plus, the resale value increases by not having #'s etched all over the machine unless you plan on keeping it.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mine has a serial # on it
perhaps serial #'s or rolled up paper inside the coil rod with #'s etc for id purposes etc

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Good idea Edde, I've done the same thing on a number of bicycles, permanent ink & put a piece
of laminate over it & slide it in the tubes.

rferris75

May 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm III, Ace 250
Alot of the Md's have the serial numbers inside the battery box guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread