What's new

Stone Axe

BosnMate

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2010
Messages
6,942
Reaction score
8,441
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This was in my grandmothers collection, and she passed away when I was quite young. I don't know where it was found, but it does have a story. My Grandmothers collection passed to me during the time I was a cub scout, and of course the Indian lore in the scouts had my imagination running in high gear. I cut a forked stick, I think from a willow down at the creek, and wrapped the fork part in the grooves and tied it off with binder twine or some such, perhaps leather boot laces, anyhow, it was a sorry tomahawk, because the handle was a bit weak among other things. But that's not the entire story, to be a proper Indian braves axe, it had to have blood on it, so we had some red geraniums growing along the garage. I took some of the blossoms, crushed them up and rubbed that on the sharp part of the axe. In the photo you will note that darn near 70 years later there is still geranium on the edge. my collection7.webpmy collection7A.webpmy collection7B.webp
 
Upvote 0
Yeah that would wreak havoc in the geraniums. I am surprised they did not turn your bottom as red as the plant. Every cub scout needs a tomahawk and you had a good one. Glad you did not loose it. Nice axe!
 
That's a nice example of an axe, thanks for sharing. Ironically, with the sampling methods available these days, science can tell us just what that axe last came in contact with no matter how young or old but, who can afford the testing?! lol
 
Bosenmate, you certainly have some nice pieces in your collection. I'm glad you started posting on T-net
 
I agree, nice axe. You can never have too many of those.
 
Man you got a sweet collection!
 
That's a beautiful axe and a great story, thanks for sharing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom